Trail Mountain Bike Leader
Lead and manage your group. Enable them to learn skills, enjoy mountain biking and become more independent.
Whether leading, guiding, instructing or training others, CTC's Trail Leader course is the first vital stage to get you going.
The Trail Leader course combines training and assessment into a single package, so your qualification is completed within one course - and there is no membership requirement or other fees either. We will even provide your food and accommodation at our residential venues. Now that is what we call value for money!
You may find that the Trail Leader provides all you need. Where you wish to lead in further environments, once the Trail Leader Award has been achieved, followed by completion of a minimum of 6 led rides you may progress to the Technical Leader Award.
Please contact the Courses & Training Helpline to find out if this course is available for booking: 01483 238 337
|25 Apr 2014||One Planet Adventure||Details...|
|6 May 2014||Velo||Details...|
|6 May 2014||Details...|
|9 May 2014||Pixies Holt||Details...|
|16 May 2014||MMB at Stubby Lee||Details...|
|6 Jun 2014||Velo||Details...|
|9 Jun 2014||Dales Bike Centre||Details...|
|13 Jun 2014||Young Bristol||Details...|
|20 Jun 2014||Thornbridge Outdoors||Details...|
|11 Jul 2014||Dalby Bike Barn||Details...|
- 1 of 2
CTC Trail Leaders have gained all the fundamental and rounded skills and competencies required of those leading groups of mountain bikers. By achieving this qualification, you will be able to:
- Lead groups of adults, young people and children on rides and riding sessions
- Manage groups with a range of riding experience from first timers and novice to experienced and expert riders
- Prepare for rides, anticipate and minimise safety factors
- Develop and apply risk assessments, operating procedures and dynamic risk management
Provide fun, engaging and developmental sessions for your participants
- Learned and proved applied skills that mountain bike leaders require including equipment checks, trailside maintenance, navigation and managing emergencies
- Use, develop and adapt games and skill sessions to engage and enable discrete riding skills development in your participants
- Understand and apply access rights across the UK and beyond
- Complete and review rides, using self-reflective principles
- Access CTC's extensive Trail Leader Resources covering in detail all the aspects of the course and more.
Of course, you won't necessarily be able to learn everything about mountain bike leading in one course, so Trail Leaders are restricted to Trail Terrain. If you want or need to go beyond this, then using the core principles gained during your Trail Leader Award, you can progress on to CTC's other Leader, Instructor or Trainer strands.
What you need
It is essential for most people to start at the Trail Leader Award. Before attending, you should:
- Have at least one years experience of regular riding experience in trail terrain. This should be a minimum of 30 rides.
- Have an interest in cycle instruction and/or mountain bike leading.
- We recommend that you hold a valid and appropriate first aid certificate (or obtain one shortly after your course).
- Be able to understand the basic principles of maps (what they represent and how).
- Have attempted to fix punctures.
- Be at least 18 years of age. (It is a legal requirement to be 18 or over before you can be in charge of others.)
You may (but are not required to) also have: