Space for Cycling
The national Space for Cycling campaign aims to create the conditions where anyone can cycle anywhere.
Cycle-friendly streets are the life-blood of safe, pleasant and healthy communities. They are good for everybody's quality of life, whether or not they chose to cycle.
You can help create Space for Cycling by calling on your Councillors to pledge their support for high standards of cycle-friendly planning and design, and the funding needed to deliver this. Cycling needs to become a safe, convenient and enjoyable option for people of all ages and backgrounds, for any local journey.
What does Space for Cycling mean?
What Space for Cycling means will depend on the location, with different solutions for major and minor roads and junctions, in urban and rural areas alike. In general though, the answers are covered by the the Space for Cycling campaign's 6 themes
- Protected space on main roads
- Removing through motor traffic in residential areas
- Lower speed limits
- Cycle-friendly town centres
- Safe routes to school
- Routes through green spaces
How much support has the campaign had so far?
- Over 700 councillors have signed up across the UK, with another 792 having already signed up to support local calls in London. See the map of who has signed up, where, here.
How you can get involved in Space for Cycling?
- Write to your councillors, demanding space for cycling.
- Contact your local cycle campaign group or CTC local campaigner to get involved with the campaign in your area.
Cycling infrastructure mapped
If you've got photos of good - or bad - cycling infrastructure, you can upload them to CTC's map of infrastructure.
Where does the campaign come from?
The Space for Cycling campaign was originally created by the London Cycling Campaign (LCC). The LCC's campaign in London was focussed on lobbying candidates in the 2014 London borough elections.
CTC has taken LCC’s London-born campaign nationwide, and works together with the Cyclenation federation of local campaign groups. All funding currently stems from private donations, and if you would like to contribute to the campaign go to: www.ctc.org.uk/donate-to-campaigns. Read more about the background to the Space for Cycling campaign.
- For all enquiries, please contact: email@example.com
Recent Campaign Activity