CTC's Commuter Tutor course is an especially formulated cycle training course that is designed to deliver high quality training to your work place. CTC uses specially trained and accredited instructors to deliver the skills to enable employees to cycle confidently to work.
The course uses the interactive effect of a small group to teach cycling skills. The course is designed to fit in with you place of work so will deal with immediate environmental issues that are specific to the site's location and the lifestyle of the participants.
This practical course gives participants the real experience of cycling to work with the support of the instructor. Starting in an off-road environment, the instructor will assess the trainees' ability and plan training to suit them, moving to increasingly busy and complex road conditions.
- Understand the reasons for cycling and how it makes commuting enjoyable and practical
- Demonstrate a basic knowledge of the bike, understand which bikes are appropriate for commuting and how to keep it safe
- Demonstrate sufficient bike handling skills to enable you to go onto the road
- Understand reasons for road positioning
- Understand the rights of a cyclist
- Demonstrate good road positioning
- Understand how to deal with high traffic levels and appropriate strategies to deal with it
- Demonstrate appropriate road positioning in high levels of traffic and advanced road features.
- Availability: Bespoke
- Duration: Half-day (3 hours)
- Group size: 5 or 6
After the course CTC can offer advice on:
- The type of bike best suited to your journey
- Recommendations on servicing
- Regular Dr Bike sessions
- Local support networks available. This might be the Local Authority, local businesses, cycling support groups, maps
- How to carry luggage
- Routes and the route network
- CTC and British Cycling
- Riding in different types of weather
- How the organisation might benefit from more cycling to work
- What the organisation might do to further encourage cycling
Some participants may want to take up further 1 to 1 training. CTC can help you with this.
If you are interested in hosting a Commuter Tutor course at your place of work, please contact CTC's Education and Development department on 0844 736 8460.