- Several first ascents - Pembrokeshire seacliff climbs, 1960s;
- Sea kayak expeditions to Nordkapp (Norway), Spitzbergen and Alaska;
- Delivering outdoor education for well over 40 years;
- Previously Head of Centre at Bewerley Park, North Yorkshire County Council;
- Undertakes quality inspections for Adventure Activities Licencing Service.
Sam trained as a teacher in the mid 1960s and has spent his career in outdoor education at several Outdoor Centres, culminating as a Head of Centre for seven years at Bewerley Park Centre for Outdoor Education in North Yorkshire.
Sam retired from full time work in 2003, but keep himself busy working part time as a Leader Trainer with CTC; freelance inspector for the Adventure Activities Licensing Service; and freelance outdoor activity instructor.
His personal achievements in the outdoors include three Arctic sea kayaking expeditions (Nordkapp, Spitsbergen, Alaska); ski touring the Haute Route and other alpine and Norwegian tours on ‘Telemark’ skis.
Sam started cycling seriously in 1986 on a Muddy Fox Courier (remember them?). He began off road racing as a veteran with Team Orange in the mid 1980s and raced for 17 years on the UK cross-country circuits with several podiums and wins.
He also specialised in endurance events with consistent top three positions as a vet and one overall win in Polaris events. All this and only two broken ribs! Now he rides purely for pleasure both on and off road.
Sam says, "I enjoy and gain much personal pleasure from passing on my leading and riding skills as a trainer with CTC."