The CTC are the lead partner for a Local Sustainable Transport Fund project aimed at encouraging more visitors to travel to the Chilterns by rail and to increase cycling within the Chilterns as an alternative to the car.
The Chilterns Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty includes parts of the Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire, Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire landscapes. The Cycle Chilterns project will focus on three main gateways to the AONB :
- · Twyford and Henley on Thames (Oxfordshire)
- · Great Missenden, Chesham and Amersham (Buckinghamshire)
- · Tring and Berkhamsted (Hertfordshire)
Within these gateways we are encouraging visitors to cycle as part of their holiday through better access to bike hire, increasing knowledge of cycle-friendly accommodation and facilities, improving and marketing the local cycle routes, routes to major attractions and the 173-mile Chilterns Cycleway which loops the area. We are also providing a range of cycling schemes aimed at encouraging local residents to cycle more as part of their daily lives.
Come back to visit this page to keep up to date with more projects developing in the area. You can also find us on Facebook/CycleChilterns, follow us on Twitter @CycleChilterns or contact Senior Development Officer for the project, Sara Randle
Current cycling development projects taking place in the Chilterns include:
Winter in the Chilterns
We're continuing our work throughout the winter with a series of activities and fun events designed to give riders the extra bit of incentive needed to get out on their bikes. All of our activities are open to everyone, not just CTC members. These include:
The Brewery Rides
A series of rides based around some of the fantastic, traditional English breweries in the Chilterns.
- 7th December 2013 - Great Missenden train station to the Chiltern Brewery
- 25th January 2014 - a circular ride from Tring Brewery with a free brewery tour
- 15th February 2014 - a loop starting from Lovibonds Brewery in Henley on Thames
Dr Bike Sessions
Get your bike some TLC at one of our many free Dr Bike sessions taking place at train stations and in towns throughout the Chilterns. Upcoming Dr Bike/Pop-up Shop sessions:
- Saturday 21st December - Chesham Local Produce Market
- Tuesday 21st January - Amersham town market, Sycamore Rd, Amersham
- Thursday 30th January - Great Missenden train station, 4-7pm
Cycle Routes and Itineraries
Over the coming months the Cycle Chilterns team will be developing a range of both on and off road cycle routes and suggested route itineraries for a range of abilities. There are already a variety of excellent cycle routes in the area, some of which are signposted and some that can be followed using detailed maps and leaflets.
A list of existing cycle routes and downloadable leaflets is available on the Chilterns AONB website. Local authority websites and local groups also provide information for cyclists and are a good source of cycle routes in the surrounding areas.
- · Central Bedfordshire - Cycling in Central Bedfordshire
- · Buckinghamshire - Cycle Buckinghamshire and Chilterns District Council
- · Hertfordshire - Hertsdirect.org and the Countryside Management Service
- · Oxfordshire - Walk and Cycle Oxfordshire