The Chilterns takes in the finest landscapes in Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire, Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire, with highlights including market towns and villages, country pubs and National Trust properties. It is also home to the 173-mile Chilterns Cycleway, which loops the area.
The CTC are delighted to be the leading partner for a Local Sustainable Transport Fund project aimed to encourage more visitors to travel to the Chilterns by rail and to increase cycling in general within the Chilterns as an alternative to the car. The project, Cycle Chilterns, is focusing on three main gateways:
- · Twyford and Henley on Thames
- · Great Missenden, Chesham and Amersham
- · Tring and Berkhamsted
Within these gateways there will be investment in improved cycle links, better signage on cycling routes, more cycle parking, provision of bike hire facilities at railway stations and major attractions, and collaboration with a variety of accommodation providers.
We will encourage visitors to cycle as part of their holiday through better access to bike hire, increasing knowledge of cycle-friendly accommodation and facilities, and by improving and marketing local the cycle routes.
Cycle Routes and Itineraries
Over the coming months the Cycle Chilterns team will be developing a range of both on and off road cycle routes and suggested route itineraries for a range of abilities. There are already a variety of excellent cycle routes in the area, some of which are signposted and some that can be followed using detailed maps and leaflets.
A list of existing cycle routes and downloadable leaflets is available on the Chilterns AONB website. Local authority websites and local groups also provide information for cyclists and are a good source of cycle routes in the surrounding areas.
- · Central Bedfordshire - Cycling in Central Bedfordshire
- · Buckinghamshire - Cycle Buckinghamshire and Chilterns District Council
- · Hertfordshire - Hertsdirect.org and the Countryside Management Service
- · Oxfordshire - Walk and Cycle Oxfordshire
Cycle Rides For All
Great for families, people getting back into cycling or just those people who prefer to ride in a group, we will be organising a number of led rides across the Gateway towns. The rides will be led by qualified and experienced ride leaders that cater to the needs of the group so no riders are left behind.
A program of led rides will be starting at the end of June. The rides are free but booking is essential as spaces are limited. Contact ride leader Ian Taylor for more details or to book your place. Full ride details and routes are available below:
- Saturday 29th June 16:30-18:30 - Tring, a 9 mile ride mostly on quiet lanes with a section of canal towpath.
- Saturday 6th July 16:30-18:30 - Chesham, a 7 mile ride on quiet lanes
- Saturday 13th July 16:30-18:30 - Berkhamsted a flat, 9.5 mile ride on towpaths and country lanes.
- Saturday 20th July 16:30-18:30 - Great Missenden
- Saturday 27th July 16:30-18:30 - Tring
- Saturday 3rd August 16:30-18:30 - Amersham/Chesham (tbc)
- Saturday 10th August 16:30-18:30 - Berkhamsted
- Saturday 17th August 16:30-18:30 - Great Missenden
- More dates to follow in September
The CTC clubs in the area also run their own rides on a regular basis and welcome newcomers. Find your nearest club on the local-groups page.