Some groups have structured committees, while others are informal, with roles rotating around the members. However you organise the group, and even if you end up fulfilling most roles yourself, it is worth defining and allocating essential tasks:
- Coordinate activity, structure meetings and ensure that there is activity.
- Ensure decisions and policies are recorded.
- Deal with financial income / outgoings and fundraising.
- Recruit and keep members.
- Represent the group publicly and produce newsletters and maintain a website.
- Lead rides and events.
- Attend local council meetings and coordinate lobbying.
- Responding to consultations,
- Attend forums and relevant stakeholder groups.
As the group grows, tasks may be split or given to committees which report back to full meetings.
Entertainment is important - make things fun. Having social events as well as 'working' meetings can get members involved.