Olympics-inspired cycling events in Swindon
Swindon Borough Council’s leisure services department is organising Olympic-inspired sporting events throughout the 16 days of the Olympics at Wharf Green in Swindon’s town centre.
The Big Screen television will be showing the games throughout the event and local clubs will be providing demos and information to showcase what Swindon has to offer. CTC has been chosen to represent cycling.
So what’s on offer? On Saturday 11 August the Mountain Bike Olympics race will be shown. The best elite female mountain bikers in the world will be battling it out at Hadleigh Park in Essex to be crowned gold medallist 2012.
In Swindon, there will be a 100-seat tiered stand to watch the spectacle with baited breath as the cyclists hurl themselves over rocks and round technical obstacles on bikes. Stalls will be set up by local cycling clubs, including mountain biking, road cycling and event cycle speedway, to talk to you about taking your enthusiasm for cycling to the next level. And if that’s not enough, we’ll also have the following activities for you to watch and engage in:
- Wii Fit virtual games and lounge area with a cycling theme
- A Watt Bike demo/come and tryout for the public - a static bikes challenge
- A Watt Bike race - local teams compete in a league of fastest static pedallers
- A mountain bike come and try for the public using portable obstacles and North Shore
- A bunch of information stalls, video clips and info given out with the chance of the odd freebie here and there
The Olympic opening ceremony is on Friday 27 July and we will be at Wharf Green celebrating and watching the ceremony on the Big Screen.
It is open to everyone, so come along. We are also organising a mini-games tournament where we are inviting the people involved in each of these sporting days to come and have some competitive fun, so bring your best cheering voicebox and give them a shout.
Map and Address
Map and Address