Wheels for All - Bolton
Wheels for All in Bolton offers a range of adaptive cycles, through Bolton Arena in Horwich and Bolton Council at Leverhulme Sports centre. Both centres run at athletics tracks and are outdoor sessions only. Just come along on a drop in basis or contact the centres to ask about pre- booked sessions. If its your first visit, call the sessional leads to confirm the activity is running.
Activities Available at the Centre
We are working to enable cycling and have developed an information sheet to show the variety of cycles and who they could suit at Leverhulme and the Arena. The bikes we have will cover most needs but if you cannot see one that is suitable, give us a call and we will be happy to discuss your needs and see if we can help. Why not come along and try some of the bikes then if you do not feel that cycle is suitable, you will be able to try another. Please be aware that not all bikes are always available - sometimes they are awaiting repair.
The activities we currently offer are:
- Led sessions using our fleet of adaptive cycles
- Opportunities for using the adaptive cycles during the school holidays so families can take part.
- Supported sessions where there is a trained member of staff on hand to help you choose the right cycle and enjoy your ride
- Some skills training and progression activities are available where desired
- Open sessions where the participants can come along on a drop in basis and change bikes as required or desired during the session
- Block and regular bookings
- Outdoors riding on enclosed athletics tracks
- Opportunities to take part in a junior cycling club at the Arena and both sites are working to improve progression and the skills training on offer
- Access to cycling for adults, young people and children
- We are able to accommodate a diverse range of participants:
- children that have additional needs including local SEN schools or other educational establishments with younger students.
- People in a diversity of different support and caring environments and organisations
- People from local care settings
- wheelchair users
- People with weight management goals
- Elderly people
- People with visual impairments
- People managing mental health issues
- Those that are recuperating post op and need to ease themselves into physical activity
- Alzheimer’s support groups and carers
- People recovering from a stroke
We have spare capacity for SEN schools and other educational settings for young people with SEN to come along for sessions.
Contacting us to let us know about group attendance is recommended so we can make sure there are sufficient cycles and supporters on hand to make your visit enjoyable.
Our main events
There are no events entered at this time, please see the groups website for more details.
Group contact details
The numbers provided are for the offices of the co-ordinators - it may be better to email in the first instance as both are often out delivering sessions
However you may be able to get information about sessions availability from other members of staff
Arena – March to October Thursday 10-12 Saturday 11-12 School Holidays every day 10-12
Leverhulme - All year Thursday 10 -12.30 Wednesday 6-7pm School Holidays as above plus Monday, Tuesday and Friday 2-4
£2 per session – participants can change bikes as required or desired during the session
Bolton Arena, Arena Approach, Horwich, BL6 6LB
Very close to Horwich Railway station and some good cycle links into the site on the NCN. The site is also close to M61 and the exit at junction 6.
Leverhulme Leisure centre, Long Lane, Bolton, BL2 6BZ
Nearest station is Bolton which is just under 2 miles away. The site is accessible by vehicle from the A666 and the A579
At the Arena we are currently trying to raise funds to refurbish the club room next to the track. At Leverhulme there are plans to construct a British Cycling track and extra facilities near the site and the centre will relocate.
In This Section:
Our community and fundraising partners
Cycling Projects - Wheels for all