Technical Leader Award Precourse Questions
The Technical Leader Award course builds on your knowledge and capacities gained through the Trail Leader Award and since.There is a quite a jump between your Trail Leader Award and the Technical Leader Award.
In order to be fully prepared for this course, as well as building a logbook of personal and led rides, you should have extended your personal skills in navigation, maintenance and riding skills. This will significantly increase your chances of successfully fulfilling the Award requirements during your course.
Before your course:
Prior to your Technical Leader Award course can you ensure that you:
- Logbook - Have developed and written up your logbook with at least 12 personal rides, 6 led rides and an overview of at least 14 further leading experiences (not necessarily mountain biking). Ensure that you bring your logbook to the course.
- First Aid Certificate - Have a current and applicable First Aid certificate.
- Maintenance - Since your Trail Leader Award, you should have extended your maintenance knowledge. To aid you in this process, please work on your bike and try to adjust your headset. If you do not already know how to do this competently, follow the principles at our online support: Adjust your headset process.
We recommend that you make sure that your bike is then checked and verified by a competent person before you go on to ride it. Where this is not the case, ensure that you take it to a suitable cycle shop before further riding for your own safety.
- Navigation - You should also have spent time updating your navigation skills. Before your course, you should get a map and compass out and work through two aspects of navigation:
- Identifying the steepness of a mountain bike route using contours. More info on using contours
- Using a compass to take a bearing. More info on using your compass.