Go MTB Leader and Instructor Orientation
Covering every level of ability from first time riders to those with expert level skills, you can offer your groups the sense of achievement that can only come when you give out the rewards at the end of the session (or even at a presentation event).
The Go MTB Awards build participants skills and confidence, leading directly to the CTC Young Leader Award.
Go MTB awards are designed to:
- help positively engage your participants in mountain biking
- provide reward and evidence achievement
- progress riders to become independant and be able to safely ride on their own or with friends
- enthuse riders to include mountain biking as part of their life - for enjoyment, exercise and well being
- lead participants towards the Young Leader Award and potentially on to other Leader qualifications and a career in mountain biking or cycling.
They will also, where appropriate, assist you:
- hit government agendas, such as increase in active lifestyle
- integrate activity into education through out of hours schemes, applied and vocational qualifications
- help match the proven benefits of exercise increasing classroom concentration levels
This course is provided by CTC throughout the UK at our partner venues, or through our bespoke course system for existing groups at their (suitable) venue.
Once an orientation day has been successfully completed, qualified Leaders and Instructors can provide Go MTB to participants. These help you as a Leader give something back to your groups, assist in return custom and can even be used as educational development tools within schemes like ASDAN.
Once you have successfully completed the orientation day, you are provided with an extensive tutor support resource which explains the key elements of each element of each award. Further, you are registered online enabling access to an extensive teaching resource that explains all about the scheme, what it includes and session plans and provision methodoligies to help you set up and run your skill sessions and rides.
Go-mtb Award certificates for your participants come in a cheque book style, for you to complete at the end of each session where achievement is reached. You can then register the participants on line and upload their progression as well as enabling participants online access.
Which Go-mtb Awards will I be able to deliver?
Leaders, SI Urban and Skill Instructor Award holders can provide Go MTB Awards once they have completed their Orientation course. The level to which you will be able to deliver Go MTB Awards are determined during the orientation, and can be either:
- Levels 1 to 3 by Trail Leaders and SMBLA/MBLA Trail Cycle Leaders who are technically adept.
- Levels 1 to 5 which are typically achieved by Technical Leaders.
- Levels 1 to 5 (Riding Skills section only) which can be achieved by
and MTB Skills Instructor Urban qualification holders.
- Some Leaders may benefit from attending a Technical Skills Development course before their Orientation day.
Ultimately, the decision as to whether you are able to deliver up to Level 3, or up to Level 5 is made during the course, and is based on your two elements - your own riding skills and your ability to instruct at the higher levels (4 and 5). For more information on this, please see our draft video of skills at each level.