The CTC are the lead partner for a Local Sustainable Transport Fund project aimed at encouraging more visitors to travel to the Chilterns by rail and to increase cycling within the Chilterns as an alternative to the car.
Find out more about the Cycle Chilterns project on our dedicated website.
We will be running a variety of activities throughout 2014 for children, adults, local residents and visitors to the area, aimed at encouraging people to get out on their bikes more. Full details are listed below.
Come back to visit this page to keep up to date with more projects developing in the area. You can also find us on Facebook/CycleChilterns, follow us on Twitter @CycleChilterns or contact Senior Development Officer for the project, Sara Randle
Current cycling development projects taking place in the Chilterns include:
Winter in the Chilterns
We're continuing our work throughout the winter with a series of activities and fun events designed to give riders the extra bit of incentive needed to get out on their bikes. All of our activities are open to everyone, not just CTC members. These include:
The Brewery Rides
A series of rides based around some of the fantastic, traditional English breweries in the Chilterns.
- 25th January 2014 - a circular ride from Tring Brewery with a free brewery tour
- 15th February 2014 - a loop starting from Lovibonds Brewery in Henley on Thames
Find out more about the 'Brewery Rides' on our new website.
Dr Bike Sessions
Get your bike some TLC at one of our many free Dr Bike sessions taking place at train stations and in towns throughout the Chilterns. Full details of all sessions are available here. Upcoming Dr Bike/Pop-up Shop sessions:
- Saturday 15th February - Cafe Africa, Amersham 10am
- Saturday 22nd February - Henley Town Market, Henley-on-Thames 10am-2pm
- Saturday 22nd February - Chesham Local Produce Market 10am-2pm
- Thursday 27th February - Great Missenden train station, 4-7pm
Off-Road Skills Training for Children
During the 2014 February half-term we will be running two off-road skills training sessions for children at Aston Hill using the new pumptrack. Sessions will be free and will last for 2 hours. Two more sessions will take place in March, Saturday 15th and Saturday 22nd. Full booking details are on our website.
Cycle Routes and Itineraries
We have a list of cycling routes on the Routes page of our new website. Over the coming months the Cycle Chilterns team will be developing more on and off road cycle routes and suggested route itineraries for a range of abilities. There are already a variety of excellent cycle routes in the area, some of which are signposted and some that can be followed using detailed maps and leaflets.
A list of existing cycle routes and downloadable leaflets is available on the Chilterns AONB website. Local authority websites and local groups also provide information for cyclists and are a good source of cycle routes in the surrounding areas.
- Central Bedfordshire - Cycling in Central Bedfordshire
- Buckinghamshire - Cycle Buckinghamshire and Chilterns District Council
- Hertfordshire - Hertsdirect.org and the Countryside Management Service
- Oxfordshire - Walk and Cycle Oxfordshire