Buses and coaches
There are few, if any, technical or legal barriers to carrying cycles by bus and coach.
- Cycle carriage can bring new revenue to bus and coach operators.
- For cyclists to contribute to the viability of services, operators need to advertise that they welcome passengers with cycles, and should clearly indicate this in their Conditions of Carriage.
- CTC is keen to promote the services of those operators who provide cycle carriage facilities.
- Cycle carriage facilities can contribute to sustainable countryside access and social inclusion objectives.
- 'Through' ticketing for passengers and cycles between different operators and between bus and train should be available.
- Overseas experience suggests that there is potential for many more companies to carry cycles. Over 50% of the USA bus fleet carries cycles on front-mounted bike racks.*
*Note: The very different operating conditions and the laws relating to vehicle safety makes the sue of some US bike racks both illegal and dangerous in the UK, but alternative options are working.