Feed aggregator

Re: Rear lights are driving me mad

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 2 September 2015 - 8:27am
It's reading threads like this that makes me glad I've fitted five of my bikes with hub dynamos. They use various combination of AXA and B&M lights all of which are bright with powerful well focused beams. The whole system is always there and always works very reliably.

A reasonably good dynamo system with a 70 lux front light and a powerful rear can be installed for not much over 60 quid.

Re: What do you do when the going gets tough?

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 2 September 2015 - 8:02am
Yes, focus on the next little goal and blank out the daunting final target.

Look back (mentally) at what you have already done / overcome, not at what you still have to do.

List all the things that are still working okay. The backside may be sore, but the legs are feeling fine and the wheels are spinning on lovely new grease, and the weather is looking a bit less grim ........

See the lows as an inevitable part of a long challenge, and deal with them like hills to be overcome. Be pleased with yourself when you manage to suppress negative thoughts.

Re: Rear lights are driving me mad

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 2 September 2015 - 7:43am
Fitting lights to the rear of a bike can be a pain, but however it is done it is a good idea to avoid dazzling other road users. You want to be noticed, but you also want the driver behind you to have his / her eyesight working properly as they consider passing you. For that reason I make sure my good, bright rear lights (I use two) are not pointed upwards. I want a driver 100 metres behind me to get the full blast, straight in the eyes, but I want a driver close behind me to be getting more of the peripheral light and not the full blast. Making sure that the main beam is horizontal achieves this, at least on a level road. I also like lights that have some light thrown left, right and upwards, but not in a way that dazzles.

In the past I have bodged a way of fitting lights to the unused lower rack fitting point on a bike, near the bottom of the seat stay. One each side.

Re: And the Bus driver said....

CTC Forum - On the road - 2 September 2015 - 2:09am
Look, he didn't respond with a load of expletives and threaten to kick your head in. I think you made your point well and he might think differently about it the next day.

Re: What do you do when the going gets tough?

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 2 September 2015 - 1:39am
Have a boiled sweet!

Set myself a micro-goal. Might be another 500ft of a climb or another 5 miles on the flat.

then treat myself to another boiled sweet etc.

(repeat as necessary...)

A long ride ahead can seem daunting. I like to divide it into fractions and then constantly adjust the fractions of the ride I have completed as the day progresses.

If I want a longer term motivator, I look forward to the pint at the end of the day!

Re: Nutrition during P-B-P

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 2 September 2015 - 1:28am
I work on little and often, but cut the sugar and you might not feel so dreadful at the end.

Re: What do you do when the going gets tough?

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 2 September 2015 - 1:26am
When the going gets tough the tough get going. You just have to apply yourself, dig in and keep pushing. Have done quite a few long distance events and know that while there are low points you can ride through them. Often a stop, short break for a snack can refresh you.

Re: What do you do when the going gets tough?

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 2 September 2015 - 12:16am
Hi,
I will let you in to a secret.

Long time ago when I was doing long distance walking on my own carrying tent sleeping bag etc 45 - 53 Ibs dry no food or water........................after the second day your feet begin to hurt then they throb unless you stop............then after the thid day you wake in the morn and your feet are still singing with pain............

To carry on you force yourself to go harder then the pain drops by fifty percent...........honest....................

Man up

Re: VSF Fahrradmanufaktur

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 1 September 2015 - 11:59pm
PH wrote:pete75 wrote:Having got one I think they're well designed, well equipped and well put together but amazing - no

That's pretty much how I felt about my Thorn Raven, untill I loaded it up and used it for it's designed purpose, in the end though it wasn't worth keeping for the little use it got like that.

What you mean it wasn't much good when you loaded it up??

Re: What do you do when the going gets tough?

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 1 September 2015 - 11:58pm
>your brain is saying "please stop doing this" and you need to keep going

If your brain is telling you that consistently for days and does not go away, then something would need to change, as you are then just punishing yourself.

Re: The folder revelation and results so far

CTC Forum - On the road - 1 September 2015 - 11:06pm
Still got my Pacific Reach. which I am supposed to be selling but am dragging my heels for some reason. A couple of years ago I tried a drop bar conversion using Ergos which I had bought for a planned tourer build in the future. It was awesome and I do keep thinking about going back and doing the conversion over again, like this but black and white frame:

Re: What do you do when the going gets tough?

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 1 September 2015 - 10:49pm
The absence of any "get out" tends to work quite well for me. No choice but to carry on going.

On the other hand I do have low gears and I can just settle down to winching my way on at a very low power setting.

Re: What do you do when the going gets tough?

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 1 September 2015 - 10:34pm
When the going gets tough......get a bus (especially if you're sat at the end of your bed rocking back and forth after 4 days of shits for the 3rd time in 3 weeks )

http://www.shanecycles.com/africa/2012/ ... ear-later/

Re: Helmet Cams Are Inflaming Road rage

CTC Forum - On the road - 1 September 2015 - 10:29pm
reohn2 wrote:Brucey wrote:
that is terrible. It is the kind of thing that makes some people want to give up cycling. I think that is why these morons behave that way; other road users are just an inconvenience to them that they would like to 'get rid of' by any means possible.
I'm sure your right,in fact I'm positive.



So my hypothesis is that if every motorist thinks that you have, (or might have) a camera on your helmet, their behaviour is modified, and most often, not in a bad way.

cheers[/quote]
I've been thinking along those lines since the incident with Mr White Merc Sprinter.What I didn't mention in my previous post was that at the mention of a camera,pointing to my helmet,the driver clammed up and shot off,so the threat of exposure obviously had an impact.[/quote]



I have the opinion that cameras do save accidents

This evening at a pinch point and in Primary

Car still determined to overtake and force the way through


Smile, point at camera and for some reason he aborted the manoeuvre and meekly pulled in behind

Re: And the Bus driver said....

CTC Forum - On the road - 1 September 2015 - 10:11pm
I've had partial success.

Definitely worth reporting fast, they should have cctv to check

Re: Helmet Cams Are Inflaming Road rage

CTC Forum - On the road - 1 September 2015 - 10:10pm
Brucey wrote:
that is terrible. It is the kind of thing that makes some people want to give up cycling. I think that is why these morons behave that way; other road users are just an inconvenience to them that they would like to 'get rid of' by any means possible.
I'm sure your right,in fact I'm positive.



So my hypothesis is that if every motorist thinks that you have, (or might have) a camera on your helmet, their behaviour is modified, and most often, not in a bad way.

cheers
I've been thinking along those lines since the incident with Mr White Merc Sprinter.What I didn't mention in my previous post was that at the mention of a camera,pointing to my helmet,the driver clammed up and shot off,so the threat of exposure obviously had an impact.

What do you do when the going gets tough?

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 1 September 2015 - 9:25pm
Tough is different for all of us, but we all know what it is

I've been looking for a book for a long time about mental strategies to help when you're on the bike and the going's getting tough

Can't find any cycling books about the mental strategies for keeping the pedals turning, so I've been reading books about Scott, Shackleton, by Mountainers and about mindfullness

I'm not talking about setting goals or having the drive to do something in the first place, I'm talking about when you're on the bike, your brain is saying "please stop doing this" and you need to keep going.

What do you tell yourself? What techniques do you use?

I'm not going to say what I am training for, as that might inhibit people from responding, and for the same reason I would ask people to do the same.

Tough is different for all of us, but we all know what it is - so what do you do when the going get's tough?

- happy to receive book recommendations as well

And the Bus driver said....

CTC Forum - On the road - 1 September 2015 - 9:08pm
Commuting home on the bike tonight on an a narrow twisting rural 'A' road in a 30mph zone I was overtaken by a bus near a bend as a car came in the opposite direction. The bus driver had time NOT to make the overtaking manouvre, but overtook me anyway ( in a careful manner ) but without leaving me much room. Fortunately a few minutes later I was able to catch up with the driver at a bus stop & I pointed out ( in a polite manner I should add ! ) that I would appreciate a little more room when being overtaken. The driver's response was that I should have pulled onto the pavement to allow him past as I was holding him up & being an inconvenience to his passengers ! I'm looking to complain to the bus company, but feel I may be wasting my time. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had any favourable outcomes from similar incidents.

Re: Pre-ride (or pre-drive) checks.

CTC Forum - On the road - 1 September 2015 - 8:47pm
check tyre pressures once a week . My bike don't get enough use to really require much frequent attention

Re: Helmet Cams Are Inflaming Road rage

CTC Forum - On the road - 1 September 2015 - 8:42pm
reohn2 wrote: .....*Story alert*

.....I still don't know what I did to provoke these incidents but I do know camera footage would've been irrefutable evidence of drivers deliberately using their vehicles as weapons and in the second incident verbal abuse that was very frightening at the time however hollow it's intent.

These are not isolated incidents in fact similar,though not as frightening,incidents happen quite regularly,I'm bewildered as to why and cannot begin to think how I cause them other than being a convenient whipping boy to bully.

that is terrible. It is the kind of thing that makes some people want to give up cycling. I think that is why these morons behave that way; other road users are just an inconvenience to them that they would like to 'get rid of' by any means possible.

My story; I often ride with a helmet that has two small LED lights on it. I have another one which doesn't have the lights, and when I use that one, I reckon I get far more close passes etc (even if it is the same bike, same clothing otherwise etc the only other difference is that the helmets are different colours, but the lights, small though they are, are clearly visible in profile because they stick up).

The other day, an incident that demonstrated what may be going on; a van driver in a clearly signwritten van narrowly avoided hitting me when trying to overtake in the face of oncoming traffic on a narrow road; he braked at the last minute and was really very close to my rear wheel. This wasn't the worst carve-up I've ever had but he said something to me as he passed and then he stopped up the road in order to apologise to me. I can't remember this ever happening before, so either this chap was different to your usual van driver or (I think more likely) he thought my little lights were actually cameras, and he was maybe gonna lose his job if they were.

So my hypothesis is that if every motorist thinks that you have, (or might have) a camera on your helmet, their behaviour is modified, and most often, not in a bad way.

cheers
Syndicate content

Archive

  • Patron: Her Majesty The Queen
  • President: Jon Snow
  • Chief Executive: Paul Tuohy
  • Cyclists' Touring Club (CTC): A company limited by guarantee, registered in England no.25185. Registered as a charity in England and Wales No 1147607 and in Scotland No SC042541

Copyright © CTC 2015

Terms and Conditions