Feed aggregator

Re: Accident on bike

CTC Forum - On the road - 9 October 2014 - 12:19pm
And hope you get well soon. Some helmet companies exchange broken helmets if you provide them accident details I think, real life research for them.

Re: Navdy

CTC Forum - On the road - 9 October 2014 - 12:14pm
I saw this somewhere the other day and nearly posted, I can't believe anyone anywhere would think it's a good idea for social networking, texts etc. I can see some justification for things that you might already have to look at in the car, like the speedo, maybe basic sat nav, not much else.

Re: A warm dry winter?

CTC Forum - On the road - 9 October 2014 - 11:29am
pete75 wrote:karlt wrote:No. They stopped because the accuracy, although published, wasn't taken into account by people when using the long range forecasts. They weren't "always wrong"; they were as accurate as they were claimed to be, which is not particularly.



Any prediction which is not very accurate will mostly be wrong.
A prediction that shows (say) 30% probability of x; 70% probability of y may be completely accurate. The trouble most people have is that it is not precise.

Four different expectations of a measurement or a prediction:
Precise = To what level of detail. Can I rely on this e.g. to know whether to wear waterproofs today?
Accurate = Actually reflecting what is happening/the probability of what will happen
Reproducable = Next time the measurement/prediction is made, will it say the same thing?
Reliable = Is it easilly broken (as an instrument or a forecasting model)?

Most people want to know whether to stock up on fuel, clothing, food; whether to plan to go somewhere else... Then the weather is dominated by the 30% probability instead (at least when they have leisure). Because probabilities are just that, a low probability event can occur without making the forecast inaccurate.

Re: Navdy

CTC Forum - On the road - 9 October 2014 - 11:26am
Pilots us jet engines too, doesn't mean they're a good idea in a car...

And their heads up displays are used for things like altitude, pitch, airspeed... You know - controlling the aircraft...

Re: Cycling is faster than the train?

CTC Forum - On the road - 9 October 2014 - 11:10am
I work in Sheffield, live near Chesterfield. On bike, takes 55min door to door (15 miles), about 52min moving time.

If I ride to Chesterfield station (only two miles away) then ride from Sheffield to work (3.5 miles) it takes 1hr.

Re: Cycling is faster than the train?

CTC Forum - On the road - 9 October 2014 - 10:26am
When I worked in Burton-on-Trent, if I were taking the train to the northwest, I'd regularly cycle to Tutbury & Hatton station (5 or 6 miles) rather than getting the train from Burton. Not only was it just as quick as taking the train all the way from Burton, it was often much cheaper - £18 vs £42 on one journey I regularly took. And there was something quite fun about supporting the little branch line through Tutbury...

Re: Accident on bike

CTC Forum - On the road - 9 October 2014 - 10:16am
Injuries --> Solicitors.

Navdy

CTC Forum - On the road - 9 October 2014 - 10:14am
This scares me...

https://www.navdy.com/

http://techcrunch.com/2014/08/14/heads- ... irst-week/

There's no way drivers can't possibly be distracted reading your texts/tweets whilst driving even if they are projected in front of you. They'll be looking straight through the pedestrians and cyclists. Just watch the guys eyes in their own promo video and where he's looking.

Comparison to pilots is stupid, they aren't reading their tweets whilst landing their plane.

Re: Cycling is faster than the train?

CTC Forum - On the road - 9 October 2014 - 9:58am
Are we comparing like with like here. I don't think so. Unless there is a direct train from A to B then you can't compare it to a bike being ridden from A to B unless it follows the same route as the train, i.e. via the same places as the three train journeys.

When I was at school, I took a 21 mile train journey every morning followed by a 10 minute walk to get to school. It took 31 minutes on the train (assuming no holdups) therefore 41 minutes all together. I could not ride that far in that time even in those days, when I was a reasonable TTer.

Re: Consent from the Missus

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 9 October 2014 - 9:27am
Mick F wrote:We don't need "permission" to do anything. Neither of us! We need agreement, not permission.

Marriage - or any other partnership - needs agreement for both/all partners to do anything. What's the problem?

Shhh, don't spoil the illusion. That's meant to be a secret.

'Speshly to the young folks who like to blog/tweet/poke* about their problems publicly rather than talk about them.





*Obv, forums are completely different...

Re: A warm dry winter?

CTC Forum - On the road - 9 October 2014 - 9:21am
Lance Dopestrong wrote:Most of the main models are showing intermittent Northern blocking December into January.
In winter, colder weather.

Ian

Accident on bike

CTC Forum - On the road - 9 October 2014 - 9:19am
Hi, I've been advised to come here for help.

Two weeks ago a car pulled out in front of me, on my right of way, came across a junction not looking and not aware I was there.

I slammed on my brakes, and the next thing I know is I am waking up on the road with a lot of people around me. I was unable to move due to the pain in my head (I am thankful for my helmet because I doubt I would be writing this today) and knee. Police, first responder and ambulance were all at the scene eventually. I was collared and taking to ED for CT scan

Eventually sent home with concussion, lots of bruising to my legs and a swollen right knee. A week later the knee was still swollen so had a xray, that was normal. Two weeks on, its still swollen (not as much) and still have bruises to my legs.

Since the accident I have suffered with headaches, lack of concentration and just want to chat, which a gp has said is post concussive syndrome, so another trip back to the hospital yesterday, CT scan(normal) and consultation, confirmed PCS. I've now been signed off work for a week, with a phased return to work.

Police witness statement is in. I'm unsure if I hit the car, police think I did, and I'm also sure, but not definite, that the driver drive off and then came back.

Bike although it appeared to have cosmetic damage, seems to have issues according to the bike shop, they have swopped all components and now giant are sending a new frame for diagnostics. It was only five weeks old at the time of the accident.

Im after advice What do I do and where do I stand.???

Thanks

Re: Clipping and running

CTC Forum - On the road - 9 October 2014 - 8:57am
Bicycler wrote:Agreed, if blame has to be attributed then that is where it lies. Though it is one of those cases where the person behind could have anticipated the movement after seeing the signal. A bit like a car indicator - once it is on expect the vehicle to start drifting

They did, and they started to leave room - but then the bloke just swiped across pretty suddenly and without a second check.

Re: A warm dry winter?

CTC Forum - On the road - 9 October 2014 - 8:55am
Lance Dopestrong wrote:Most of the main models are showing intermittent Northern blocking December into January.

Unfortunately, I haven't a clue what that means!

Northern blocking either means that we'll have a blocking system in the north, dragging down arctic winds, or that the jet stream will block the north meaning we get lots of wet atlantic weather...

Hmm - no idea...

Re: Berlin to Copenhagen

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 9 October 2014 - 7:43am
I also went in 2008, in July (and spent 7 days cycling). I stayed in B&Bs/hotels, which I'd booked in advance, though I think I could have got away without doing so (except in the big cities): places were generally fairly quiet, esp. in the German section. I agree with the previous poster about the surfaces: they're generally good, but there are some rough sections, esp. on the forest tracks. I was on 28mm tyres, and just about managed (but one of my rims did collapse just before CPH -- perhaps a coincidence, but...).

(I stayed at this place south of CPH: recommended, if you want to give yourself an almost-at-the-end treat: http://www.roedvigkro.dk/)

Re: A warm dry winter?

CTC Forum - On the road - 9 October 2014 - 6:29am
karlt wrote:Psamathe wrote:GrumpyGit wrote:Working on the principle that it never rains when you're carrying an umbrella I'm expecting a very mild winter this year!
Didn't the Met Office give-up doing long range forecasts - as they always turned out so wrong and they were "suffering criticism".

Ian

No. They stopped because the accuracy, although published, wasn't taken into account by people when using the long range forecasts. They weren't "always wrong"; they were as accurate as they were claimed to be, which is not particularly.



Any prediction which is not very accurate will mostly be wrong.

Re: Berlin to Copenhagen

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 9 October 2014 - 6:13am
2008, in the Autumn. Stayed in B and Bs and hotels. There were some unpaved sections and some very sandy in Germany. Also some lage concrete slab areas. Bromptons a bad idea for some of the German bit.

Re: Clipping and running

CTC Forum - On the road - 9 October 2014 - 6:08am
Chap in front is totally at fault.
Syndicate content

Archive

  • Patron: Her Majesty The Queen
  • President: Jon Snow
  • Chief Executive: Paul Tuohy
  • Cyclists' Touring Club (CTC): A company limited by guarantee, registered in England no.25185. Registered as a charity in England and Wales No 1147607 and in Scotland No SC042541

Copyright © CTC 2015

Terms and Conditions