Feed aggregator

Re: Lighting a bike/high vis on tour

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 18 October 2014 - 8:26pm
Going back to the original question you need to make sure you comply with the regulations for lighting and extras in not just the countries but the State or county you are visiting.
If you do not want to wear hiv vis do not but something that is reflective may keep the locals quiet.

A head torch is brilliant for looking where you are going especially road surface. However they are no good for being seen by cars (I do use a head torch) you would need at least one battery operated bike mounted lamp.

Similarly a helmet mounted rear lamp will disappear from behind when you turn your head, so a standard battery operated lamp (I like the ones with large reflectors) attached to the back of the rack as well would be better.

Sorry I can not recommend makes or models my last lot came from Aldi. Make sure that replacement batteries that fit the lights are available where you are going.

Re: Accomodation in Polenca, Majorca

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 18 October 2014 - 8:04pm
P. park now owned by fergus, food has improved, wifi has not but it is free, there is free wifi all along the bay courtesy of the local government, word is p. park will be 4 star when it re opens in march.

Re: Airport transfers in Majorca

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 18 October 2014 - 8:00pm
As said we have used Glynnis, and she has had more than 6 bikes on a transport, so 6 would not be an issue. Have never used pro bike hire never trusted them since when, out of desperation Phil bought a cape, then we found he was charging 3x as much as anyone else, we always use velosportmallorca and never have any issues, they will also provide free breakdown support or recovery.

Re: Lighting a bike/high vis on tour

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 18 October 2014 - 7:55pm
pjclinch wrote:..... you don't get hit by a motor vehicle that's half a mile away. No, you don't Pete, but as I pointed out, if a driver is going along at 50/60mph, he needs to see far enough ahead to chose a line. If there's less than a few hundred yards, the time is not long.

Re: Long Term Tour & Saddle Sore

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 18 October 2014 - 7:33pm
A saddle sore will occur when you sit on the same part of your bottom and cut off the blood flow causing the flesh to effectively die. By moving around in the saddle, taking regular breaks and walking to get the blood flow moving again you will minimise the risk of getting them. if you do have one it may show as a very anaemic looking hard lump and it is important to reestablish the blood flow as soon as you can. They are normally known as pressure sores and the same as bed bound people suffer due to lack of movement.

Having had one on a long trip I can vouch for the fact that they are incredibly painful but they do go quickly once rested. If they ulcerate you may need medical treatment or antibiotics at the very least.

They are different to boils which occur from blocked pores usually caused by sweat and poor personal hygiene.

Re: Lighting a bike/high vis on tour

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 18 October 2014 - 6:38pm
squeaker wrote:
Which reminds me of a rather pertinent cartoon I saw recently in an old Punch compendium

LOL that's a great cartoon and I love that word 'Motocracy'.

Re: Lighting a bike/high vis on tour

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 18 October 2014 - 6:01pm
irc wrote:Because accidents caused by dark V bright coloured cars are a small fraction of the total accidents.

Okay, you've piqued my interest... exactly what fraction?

irc wrote:I know from experience that bright colours can be seen more easily at a distance. I have seen groups of cyclists or hillwalkers at a distance and seen the brightly dressed ones far sooner than the ones dressed in black.

Nobody's disputing that, but as I've already pointed out, you don't get hit by a motor vehicle that's half a mile away.

irc wrote:I accept that in most cases drivers don't see because they are not looking but the low visibility of black still exists. Choosing not to wear black is just another edge I can get in my favour. Like choosing the low traffic 30mph route rather than the 70mph dual carriageway. Like not riding in the gutter etc. Just because the effect is small doesn't mean I would not rather have it in my favour.

You say it's "small", which is a qaulitative measure. What actually is it, quantitatively? Follow the research and it's increasingly turning out to be the case that hi-viz doesn't give any clear edge. That's not intuitive, but there again neither is the fact that crash helmets don't appear to do anything for your chances of a trip to A&E with something serious.

Choosing the type of road does alter chances a lot. Rural A roads have about 8 times the KSI rate as an urban back road, for example. But can you actually quantify the difference in chances for wearing black as opposed to YELLOW, or are you just guessing?

Pete.

Re: Lighting a bike/high vis on tour

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 18 October 2014 - 5:32pm
anniesboy wrote:The Highway Code rule 59 says cyclists should wear the following
The current Highway Code is an evidence-free abomination in several ways when it concerns cycling and I shall wholeheartedly campaign with CTC to get it corrected the next time it is updated. Happily some of the sillier things like the light or flourescent clothing bit are not backed by law and should not stand up in court because there is insufficient evidence for them.

There have been several studies about car crashes and car colours and they contradict each other. It seems to make a very minor difference if any. There are loads of ways we can improve cycling safety and dictating clothing is nowhere near the top of the list... if it is on it at all!

Good lights are far more important but most of what is bought in the UK is really awful. How many of the antiblack posters here have an illegal lighting setup on one or more of their bikes, or knows a close friend or family member with one?

Re: Cycling Eutopia ?

CTC Forum - On the road - 18 October 2014 - 4:49pm
Yes you could have 50% commuting by bike - just because at the moment people don't consider cycling more than a few metres doesn't mean they never will.

And there are people who have silly long commutes (I used to be one of them) but that's not essential to life in the UK...

Re: Lighting a bike/high vis on tour

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 18 October 2014 - 4:28pm
pjclinch wrote:....And if you look at THC closer it tells you pedestrians should be wearing pretty much the same thing (helmet excepted), yet nobody seems to bother and that isn't actually a problem (perceived or actual).

Which reminds me of a rather pertinent cartoon I saw recently in an old Punch compendium

Re: Santander to Biarritz

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 18 October 2014 - 3:56pm
This topic has been covered a couple of times in the last year. If you search Santander, Bairritz etc you will probably find some of the old posts.

To summarise mine which started at Bilbao - plenty of campsites along the coast, very few inland even only a few miles, inland route very hilly, do not go through Hendaye but cross the Pyrenees a little inland Elizondo to Espelette which is an easy climb. Spanish maps are not terribly good, I found the best was the Michelin Zoom series.

Re: constant tyre lubrication system

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 18 October 2014 - 3:37pm
standard marathons in 26" roll ok - I have often caught up people on 700c wheels coasting down hills

Re: constant tyre lubrication system

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 18 October 2014 - 3:29pm
Marathon Racers, assuming they're still made will do the trick. They roll very well indeed, and I've used them extensively off road, including with camping gear. Downside is they don't last as long as the heavier marathons, but I think it's well worth it.

Marathon pluses are horrible in my view. OK for short commutes where a puncture will make you late for work, but in all other circumstances, it's better to go lighter and accept the slightly increased risk of punctures. Apart from rolling faster, more flexible sidewalls give a much more comfortable ride.

Santander to Biarritz

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 18 October 2014 - 3:22pm
Good afternoon,

I'm planning a trip to cycle with a few mates from Santander to Carhors next summer. I've toured a bit in France before so i know what (ish) what to expect with that bit of the trip, but haven't spent any time in Spain. Has anyone done a route similar to this before who can offer up some advice re; route planning, camping spots, etc.

Many thanks,

Sam

Re: Lighting a bike/high vis on tour

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 18 October 2014 - 2:38pm
pjclinch wrote:Otherwise, ask why insurance companies do not charge a special extra premium for black cars, since people must be driving in to them unawares all the time...

Pete.

Because accidents caused by dark V bright coloured cars are a small fraction of the total accidents. Factor like driver age and experience and postcode of residence etc are far larger and are what set preiums. I know from experience that bright colours can be seen more easily at a distance. I have seen groups of cyclists or hillwalkers at a distance and seen the brightly dressed ones far sooner than the ones dressed in black.

I accept that in most cases drivers don't see because they are not looking but the low visibility of black still exists. Choosing not to wear black is just another edge I can get in my favour. Like choosing the low traffic 30mph route rather than the 70mph dual carriageway. Like not riding in the gutter etc. Just because the effect is small doesn't mean I would not rather have it in my favour.

Re: Trail A Bike For Tourer?

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 18 October 2014 - 2:33pm
Hope you both enjoy it.

Nice bit or re-branding on the trailer bike .

Re: Trail A Bike For Tourer?

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 18 October 2014 - 2:27pm
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413638665.240782.jpg What do you think? Finally the trailer-bike is compatible with my Surly Nice rack thanks to my clever engineer neighbour. I've finished up refurbishing this old Burley Piccolo.

Who can spot a cheeky bit of fraud going on in this picture?

Re: Dry bags - a lightweight alternative to panniers

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 18 October 2014 - 2:13pm
A few comments. To improve the stability of the bag, a simple solution would be to use a light piece of rigid plastic, effectively creating a frame at very little extra weight.

My other, not so positive, comment is a discussion I had some years ago on the Southern Tier with some other riders. They were bemoaning the fact that their lightweight panniers really weren't up to the job and after about 2 weeks were already showing signs of wear (and some duct tape).

On the subject of saving weight, I'm not sure that the difference in weight between drybags and panniers is significant, in the overall system. If you take the all up weight of rider, bike and luggage, the weight saved, as an overall percentage is quite low. This, I think, is something that is not generally given much consideration but when you think about it, it makes a lot of sense,

Re: Cycling Eutopia ?

CTC Forum - On the road - 18 October 2014 - 2:01pm
50% of Copenhagen residents commute by bike....BUT that will never happen in England. Copenhagen is small and flat (though e-bikes can solve the hill issue) v. London or our other major cities. Lots cycle in Cambridge but that's also small and flat and has a young population.
However aside from the city size and flatness factors IMO the two main reasons why we will never reach such a high proportion of cycle commuting are:
-Our commutes are generally longer...most people are unwilling to consider cycling for anything over 3 miles each way.
-Our population is fat (we are the most obese nation in Europe) and lazy...its not primarily a dearth of cycling infrastructure thats the cause why so few cycle commute; its because they don't want to. Most don't even want to walk 1 mile each way, they take the bus or drive. Its difficult to change peoples' mentality...the govt. has been banging on for years about exercise and a healthy diet yet our population keeps getting even fatter.
I'm all for drastically improving cycling infrastructure and believe that it will encourage more people to cycle commute, but how many more? I'd be surprised if we even reach 20%, more likely 10%. Still worth doing...making 10% healthier, cutting congestion and pollution would be a big win however I don't believe we will ever become a true mass cycling nation.

Re: Lighting a bike/high vis on tour

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 18 October 2014 - 1:59pm
I have a white helmet with reflective strips on front and back. I also wear white or light tee shirts, I hate cycling jerseys that are tight. I am not an advertising hoarding. If its a dull day I put on a loose fitting flourescent yellow vest with reflective strips which can play hell with those self flushing urinals.

Al
Syndicate content

Archive

  • Patron: Her Majesty The Queen
  • President: Jon Snow
  • Chief Executive: Paul Tuohy
  • Cyclists' Touring Club (CTC): A company limited by guarantee, registered in England no.25185. Registered as a charity in England and Wales No 1147607 and in Scotland No SC042541

 

Terms and Conditions