Feed aggregator

Re: Touring Bike For Tall Person...

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 3 September 2014 - 6:23pm
Brilliant going to take a look at Surly now.. Have heard good things about them! Thanks for the info most appreciated.

Re: New European Cycling Website

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 3 September 2014 - 5:30pm
Sweep wrote:I fear that your feelings about your home town may have coloured your judgement - maybe I read too quickly but you seem to have condemned most of the North West as poor for cycling. I would beg to differ - there's some beautiful places not too far from admittedly not too beautiful Blackburn.

You also seem to damn most of south east England, I've led many a ride in those parts and much of it is wonderful. And as a northerner I'm hardly biased in its favour.

There are pockets of loveliness everywhere, but in the south-east the pockets seem smaller than elsewhere (at least where I cycled). And yes, the north-west has the Lakes and the Trough of Bowland and they are both amazing. But the rest of it (smaller pockets aside) isn't up to much when you compare it to countries that seem to have gorgeous scenery in every direction. But you're probably right. My bias probably also coloured my judgement. But not about the state of British roads, which - traffic-wise at least - are awful.

Sweep wrote:(PS - is the Vulcan still going? I was never a metalhead but I kind of liked it) Oh, and if you want a handle on my age, the first group I ever saw was I think Slade - at King George's Hall. Later saw the Buzzcocks at the same place.

I guess that puts you between 5 and 10 years older than me (unless you were a rocking toddler). I'm not sure I ever went in the Vulcan more than a couple of times. I had a Blackburn mate who loved to drag me into the dodgier pubs where eye contact was a no-no. When I lived there (which was a long while ago now) I preferred the sappier places where you'd only get beaten up by the bouncers.

Sweep wrote:Book looks great though and the web site is interesting - will follow it with interest.

Great. I hope you enjoy them both.

Re: Touring Bike For Tall Person...

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 3 September 2014 - 4:16pm
According to Surly:
The 700C wheel versions of the Long Haul Trucker (rim brakes) and Disc Trucker (disc brakes) go up to 64cm
The 26" wheel versions go up to 62cm

Re: Touring Bike For Tall Person...

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 3 September 2014 - 4:12pm
I think you can get the Surly Long Haul Trucker in sizes up to 64cm. The Spa Cycles website (http://www.spacycles.co.uk) shows the disc version (frame only) in that size and the non-disc version in 62cm.

Oops - cross posted with Bicycler!

Re: Police Thugs

CTC Forum - On the road - 3 September 2014 - 4:09pm
Your word against theirs.
Trouble is, their word is taken as truth, and your word is suspect .......... until the real truth comes out ........... and that's the hard part.

Re: Police Thugs

CTC Forum - On the road - 3 September 2014 - 3:52pm
If making a complaint like this, you should be able to gather your own evidence. Record your conversation wit the police officer on your mobile phone or helmet cam. Take a photo of the officer who stopped you. This would provide the evidence to back up your claim. Without such evidence, it's your word against theirs.

We've seen cases where the helmet cam evidence makes the Police's action look heavy handed and inappropriate. The recent case where a guy was cycling on a rubbish cycle path and had to ride across the pavement to reach a crossing point and was charged with cycling on the pavement.

Also, my old law teacher once said to me, if you ever get stopped by the police just say to them "Arrest me or let me go". If you've not committed an offence then they can't arrest you and you can just carry on your way.

Re: Police Thugs

CTC Forum - On the road - 3 September 2014 - 1:28pm
It should at least show whether or not the person in question was wearing high vis...

Re: Police Thugs

CTC Forum - On the road - 3 September 2014 - 1:26pm
fluffybunnyuk wrote:I reviewed CCTV coverage from Lewisham Council. The camera does not cover the part of the road where you were stopped. It provides no relevant evidence.

Like they reviewed the footage of the Andrew Mitchell 'plebgate' affair. Perhaps you need to employ Channel 4 to unearth the footage.

Touring Bike For Tall Person...

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 3 September 2014 - 1:25pm
Hey all. Apologies if this has already been asked. Did do a quick search.

Have been thinking bout getting a touring bike for a little while, now the only problem is my height!! Being nearly 6'10" I do struggle to find bikes big enough. I currently ride all Trek bikes, 64cm road bike, 24" mtn bike, and 25" hybrid. All of them have had upgraded wheels to stop snapping spokes!!

Does anyone know of which brands I should look at for similar size tourers, if they do them. Don't really wanna go down custom build route but would consider if nothing available? I did use my hybrid for a 3 day visit to Guernsey but would like to think further afield.

Thanks in advance for any help

Re: New Route Planner

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 3 September 2014 - 1:07pm
Yes this is my favourite route planner. I find it very intuitive and it gives some sensible suggestions. I export gpx files to my garmin edge touring and these work well. The only bit that doesn't work is the elevation profile which appears as a flat line. The tcx export option doesn't work at all on the GET.

Re: SPOILER! Re: who will ride Vuelta a Espana 2014

CTC Forum - Racing - 3 September 2014 - 1:06pm
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Red jersey crashed and saddle was off before the rider hit the ground, very spectacular

Saddle stem looks very thin and fragile.................

See the spare bikes being carried by M/cycle pasengers on their shoulders
Not many body parts available to dislodge a saddle like that
M Cyclists carried a spare bike until they got out of the monastery I think - no room for a car

Re: Police Thugs

CTC Forum - On the road - 3 September 2014 - 12:26pm
I promised a follow up when I received word, and I just have.
Its too much manure to comment on and give it any more time than it deserves.
And people wonder why it isnt worth complaining?
Here it is:

INVESTIGATION

On 10/12/13 you attended Lewisham Police Station stating that whilst you were cycling along New Cross Rd towards Greenwich you were stopped by an officer who was not wearing reflective clothing. You say you did not see the officer. As you passed the officer you assert that the officer grabbed you causing you to brake sharply. You say this action was dangerous.

I have obtained a detailed statement from you which provides your account of the incident.

I spoke to the officer and she has provided an account of the incident. She denies grabbing you and states that she was wearing her reflective jacket.

I have obtained an account of the incident from the two PCSOs who were present in the locality. They both state that they did not see the incident to which you refer. One officer states she only became aware of a conversation that took place between you and SPC *******.

I reviewed CCTV coverage from Lewisham Council. The camera does not cover the part of the road where you were stopped. It provides no relevant evidence.

When I obtained your statement you refused to sign a medical disclosure form that would have allowed me to obtain details of any injuries you sustained, in this incident, from your GP. You did, however, state that I could apply for this information within the body of your statement.
On 24/1/14 I included a copy of this part of your statement in a letter to your GP requesting details of any injuries you had sustained. I have had no information returned from your GP.


CONCLUSIONS

In these circumstances I am satisfied, on the balance of probabilities, that SPC ******* has not breached the standards of professional behaviour. This means there is no case to answer.

Re: Mud and Biryani - 2 nights on the SDW

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 3 September 2014 - 12:18pm
I really enjoyed reading your blogpost. Thank you for the link.
Keep 'em coming.

Re: Advice on route in Bristol

CTC Forum - On the road - 3 September 2014 - 12:11pm
It's one of those things, I wouldn't start from there.
You could try parking at the Abbey retail park (not sure how long your apppointment is or how often they check parking) and then riding from there past Filton Abbey wood (traffic free), 8th Ave, 9th Ave, Braemar Ave, and Kenmore Drive.
See link to map of North Bristol
http://www.betterbybike.info/maps/cycle-maps/bristol

Re: New European Cycling Website

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 3 September 2014 - 10:48am
Checked out your book sample from Amazon (I would encourage others to do the same) and it looks very good - will very probably buy the full book.

It reveals that you are from Blackburn - I'm from round those parts* and know it well - I must admit that it's not the prettiest of places and last time I was there they appear to have knocked the heart out of it again - demolishing a load of stuff that was probably only built in the 60s- god knows what folk older than me must still recognise about the place. The council should be shot.

But re your web site and its country guide I fear that your feelings about your home town may have coloured your judgement - maybe I read too quickly but you seem to have condemned most of the North West as poor for cycling. I would beg to differ - there's some beautiful places not too far from admittedly not too beautiful Blackburn.

You also seem to damn most of south east England, I've led many a ride in those parts and much of it is wonderful. And as a northerner I'm hardly biased in its favour.

Book looks great though and the web site is interesting - will follow it with interest.

all the best

(PS - is the Vulcan still going? I was never a metalhead but I kind of liked it) Oh, and if you want a handle on my age, the first group I ever saw was I think Slade - at King George's Hall. Later saw the Buzzcocks at the same place.

Re: New Route Planner

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 3 September 2014 - 10:32am
Just tried the pdf option... I asked cycle.travel/map to suggest a route from Cosham Station to the Brittany Ferries terminal in Portsmouth and saved it, then clicked the pdf button and was very please with the results. It's a short route (3 miles) and so it should fit on a single side of A4 easily, and the software did just that, scaling it nicely to maximise the available space. I chose the City Scale option and got a great map, very clear and with a host of road names to help me navigate - excellent!
ctpdf.jpg

Re: Can I have a moan?

CTC Forum - On the road - 3 September 2014 - 10:14am
It's new legislation - although it's dated 2012, it came into force more recently. It bans clamping etc and replaces it with a régime of penalty enforcement. It may be that fly-by-nights with vehicles not registered in their name can ignore this but the rest of might not be so lucky. The detection tends to be electronic - and we all know how much more effective that can be than fallible humans. (Have a look on the way in and out and a lot of these places now have a twin camera system.)

Anecdotes are nothing more than that and they may well pre-date the new regs. When it's somewhere like a supermarket car park and there's a customer complaint, goodwill can cloud the issue. Try overstaying somewhere like the car park on a motorway service area or an airport and see how much leeway you get then.

I'm just like 661- Pete when it comes to obeying parking rules. I try to be meticulous and I'm regarded by some in my family as a PITA for being like that, but that's the way I am.

Re: Can I have a moan?

CTC Forum - On the road - 3 September 2014 - 10:07am
661-Pete wrote:And I've never had a parking ticket in my entire life.
I've had two.
One because I believed a female in her estimate of how long her shopping trip would take.
The other when I arrived at the payment meter at 7:27, there was free parking from 8 onwards so I bought half an hour. Turns out the traffic warden figured I was extracting the urine and issued me a ticket at 7:59...

Re: Can I have a moan?

CTC Forum - On the road - 3 September 2014 - 9:56am
My take is: running a car costs money, as I am fully aware! The cost of parking ought to be simply factored into that running cost. Speaking for myself, when I need to park somewhere, I always look for a car park or somewhere where I can park legally. And pay the charge as appropriate. And walk a little extra distance if I need to.

And I've never had a parking ticket in my entire life.

Unsurprisingly, the cost of parking is often something I consider when deciding whether to go somewhere by car, by bike, or by train .

So why do some petrolheads have such a problem?

Re: Can I have a moan?

CTC Forum - On the road - 3 September 2014 - 9:50am
Psamathe wrote:When you park for e.g. more than 3 hrs in a supermarket car park you are in some respects doing the same thing i.e. leaving your car on private property (and causing no real inconvenience). Yet the supermarkets seem to get away with charging/fining you, clamping your car, towing your car, etc. So, other than a few inconspicuous signs, do the supermarkets (with car parks) have more rights than a private individual (driveway)?

But surely this is an inconvenience to their business model, therefore turnover, therefore profitability, therefore staff employed? If the supermarket has built a car park and expects to have a throughput of 1,000 cars a day because there is a continuous rotation of spaces available then having people parked in there for 8 hours is surely an inconvenience? Towing away is probably OTT because towing is really for a safety or accessibility issue but fines? - definitely.
Syndicate content

Archive

  • Patron: Her Majesty The Queen
  • President: Jon Snow
  • Chief Executive: Paul Tuohy
  • Cyclists' Touring Club (CTC): A company limited by guarantee, registered in England no.25185. Registered as a charity in England and Wales No 1147607 and in Scotland No SC042541

 

Terms and Conditions