Feed aggregator

Re: Someone nearly killed me today

CTC Forum - On the road - 10 January 2016 - 7:36pm
Like them or loathe them.....

This is the reason the AirZound was invented!

The number of times I have been in a similar situation and the AirZound has woken the muppet as to what is happening is countless

Re: Cycling opportunity Keswick -Kendal

CTC Forum - On the road - 10 January 2016 - 7:04pm
gaz wrote:TonyR wrote:... more generally does anyone know of a map with all the closed roads in the Lakes for route planning purposes. ...
List here with a linked map towards the top of the page. Map requires MS Silverlight, I haven't viewed it myself.

I'll have a look at the map later - Silverlight won't run on mobile devices other than Windows ones AFAIK. Which is a bit shortsighted of Cumbria County Council given that these days mobile devices dominate web access.

EDIT: Had a look at the map and its totally incomprehensible. Its got X's to mark bridge closures but then some roads are in blue which no explanation of what it means - the whole of Ambleside is blue for example - and there is nothing obvious on the Thirlmere section of the A519, just either ends of it. Also why do people have to use rubbish like Microsoft's Silverlight? What is wrong with a good old standard Google maps mash up instead of something that is so painfully slow and clunky I gave up plus it doesn't work on mobile devices at all? Even Microsoft recommend against using it.

Re: Someone nearly killed me today

CTC Forum - On the road - 10 January 2016 - 6:54pm
mjr wrote:Yes, Flinders, I chose "rampant" for a reason . Was it October when you were there? That's usually a low point in behaviour...

Indeed, I think it was.....
I was a student in London, that sort of thing there would leave you as a smear on the road.

Re: Someone nearly killed me today

CTC Forum - On the road - 10 January 2016 - 6:52pm
sapperadam wrote:Flinders wrote:mjr, having had the misfortune to drive in Cambridge last year for the first time in years, I've never in my life seen so many mad, suicidal, inconsiderate, and downright incompetent cyclists- often in packs- some of them would be dead in a week round here. (A local cyclist Mr Ortho was on a course with down there said the same, she was very frustrated by it; she put it down to people going there to study and riding a bike in the city when the last time they rode one was when they were about 8 and in a local park.)

I suspect that sot of behavior would have an impact on drivers, in that they would assume the worst and give all cyclists a lot of space and time. It gave me the serious willies, and I'm a very careful driver.

I learnt to drive in Cambridge many years ago. The only way to get around Cambridge is really by bike though, the roads are so narrow. However, as you said, the standard of cycling is not great, a vast majority of the bikes probably don't cost much more than a few quid, and the main reason they ride in packs is because there are so many of them. How many other places have upwards of a couple of thousand bikes parked outside the train station?

The main problem there is there is no space for proper infrastructure but once you get used to driving round there, it is actually one of the best, yet worst, places to be a cyclist because drivers are always aware of them but there is nowhere more evident of the "war" with cyclists than there.

Having said that though, I was on a coach last week which went through London during the rush hour and I couldn't believe the standard of some cyclists there, so much worse than I ever saw in Cambridge. In the space of about half an hour, I saw more near misses, many of which were actually the fault of cyclists, than I see in the space of a couple of months here. Is it any wonder that drivers can be so militant when they are greeted with such bad behaviours from some cyclists?

One pack of cyclists at a junction where I was waiting went across first through green lights, and then continued to flow across through the red lights whilst we (on green) waited. Precisely one car got out of the queue I was in on that sequence. Many cyclists didn't appear able to control their machines at all, and their braking distances were appalling even when they bothered to brake. I've also never heard so many squeaks and grinding noises from bikes either. It just shows that you can be good at passing exams and yet completely stupid, all at the same time.

Re: touring on a trad touring bike?

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 10 January 2016 - 6:46pm
@reohn2
Can you fit a bar bag with those shifters?

Re: Most Annoying and Potentially Dangerous Motoring Manoeuv

CTC Forum - On the road - 10 January 2016 - 6:25pm
Worst (yet best) for me. Coming up to roundabout, left lane is left turn only. I always go straight on here on my way home.

One day, come round the bend (the roundabout is off a main road), the left hand lane is blocked off by cones. There's two police cars blocking the lane as there had been an accident. I follow my usual line, but this time I'm keeping an eye out for the cars indicating left at the entrance to the roundabout. Car at the front as I get there indicates left so I hang back next to the van I was just passing.

Car turns left, happy days, van isn't indicating, onto the roundabout, van then decides to turn into me. Then drives off. Shortly followed by one of said police cars.

Re: Someone nearly killed me today

CTC Forum - On the road - 10 January 2016 - 6:12pm
Flinders wrote:mjr, having had the misfortune to drive in Cambridge last year for the first time in years, I've never in my life seen so many mad, suicidal, inconsiderate, and downright incompetent cyclists- often in packs- some of them would be dead in a week round here. (A local cyclist Mr Ortho was on a course with down there said the same, she was very frustrated by it; she put it down to people going there to study and riding a bike in the city when the last time they rode one was when they were about 8 and in a local park.)

I suspect that sot of behavior would have an impact on drivers, in that they would assume the worst and give all cyclists a lot of space and time. It gave me the serious willies, and I'm a very careful driver.

I learnt to drive in Cambridge many years ago. The only way to get around Cambridge is really by bike though, the roads are so narrow. However, as you said, the standard of cycling is not great, a vast majority of the bikes probably don't cost much more than a few quid, and the main reason they ride in packs is because there are so many of them. How many other places have upwards of a couple of thousand bikes parked outside the train station?

The main problem there is there is no space for proper infrastructure but once you get used to driving round there, it is actually one of the best, yet worst, places to be a cyclist because drivers are always aware of them but there is nowhere more evident of the "war" with cyclists than there.

Having said that though, I was on a coach last week which went through London during the rush hour and I couldn't believe the standard of some cyclists there, so much worse than I ever saw in Cambridge. In the space of about half an hour, I saw more near misses, many of which were actually the fault of cyclists, than I see in the space of a couple of months here. Is it any wonder that drivers can be so militant when they are greeted with such bad behaviours from some cyclists?

Re: trans am for novice advice needed

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 10 January 2016 - 5:51pm
A couple of years ago, we rode with a Swiss couple who bought Walmart bikes and rode Vancouver to San Francisco. They spent a lot of time fixing stuff but the $70 bikes got them there. I wouldn't do that but the OP might choose to...

Re: Most Annoying and Potentially Dangerous Motoring Manoeuv

CTC Forum - On the road - 10 January 2016 - 5:50pm
brynpoeth wrote:another suggestion: putting on the seatbelt while driving. an acrobatic manouvre indeed that needs both hands.

I don't give a *** if someione else is not belted up, they endanger only themselves. But it should not be possible (interlock!) to belt up while driving.

Anyone using both hands to do this is a bit silly - its many, many years since seatbelts were designed to be fitted one-handed for those too lazy to put it one BEFORE driving off!

Undertaking, especially when the car being undertaken has moved over to give a cyclist a decent bit of space.

Re: Someone nearly killed me today

CTC Forum - On the road - 10 January 2016 - 5:44pm
I live in South Birmingham, and this sort of avoiding action is something I seem to have to do on every ride, often more than once Oddly over the last couple of years most drivers seem to have become more considerate, but the minority of persons seem to have got worse! I'll figure that one out one day!

Like Psamanthe when driving if I'm on the overrun (foot off throttle) I have had a habit for as long back as I can remember of covering the brake pedal in case I need to brake. With modern braking systems such a VW have had for some years (where the car's system respind to quick movements of the brake pedal by appling the brake harder than a slow movement), I get much gentler braking than if quickly moving my foot from one pedal to the other.

Re: Vanmoof Boncho - reinventing the cape

CTC Forum - On the road - 10 January 2016 - 5:33pm
freiston wrote:Did anyone notice the front and rear lights built into the extended top tube in the video?
Also by Vanmoof? http://www.gizmag.com/vanmoof-10-electr ... ike/27888/

Re: Cycling opportunity Keswick -Kendal

CTC Forum - On the road - 10 January 2016 - 5:29pm
TonyR wrote:mjr wrote:Closed roads are shown on http://www.roadworks.org for most councils and Highways England.

Which doesn't show anything for the A591 or Pooley Bridge despite them being problems for a couple of weeks at least now.
Maybe Cumbria isn't on there. Sorry - I can't check it from my mobile devices.

Re: Someone nearly killed me today

CTC Forum - On the road - 10 January 2016 - 5:27pm
Yes, Flinders, I chose "rampant" for a reason . Was it October when you were there? That's usually a low point in behaviour...

Re: Abus Frame Lock

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 10 January 2016 - 5:18pm
Padraic wrote:Hi everyone, as I start to build up my bike to the specification I want, I'm considering fitting a frame lock http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=146739;menu=1000,5,74
I've used them with hire bikes in Holland and found them useful. I just want to get an idea from people if they find them useful and do they know if they are difficult to fit to a bike?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Padraic.

You say Abus and show Axa, which are not the same. Axa's are in fact pretty narrow, which is a nuisance with 50mm tyres and Magura HS33 brakes. Note that the accessoiry chains do not mix between brands
On cheap frames with thick tubes it is pretty common to fit the lock with two sheetmetal screws, but don't try that on something fancy. On very small & sloping frames the locks might interfere with your heels

Re: Longest UK off-road surfaced cycle route?

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 10 January 2016 - 5:07pm
It has rather a mish-mash of surfaces and it's not all off road. I guess it's a question of how strictly we interpret the title question.

Re: Vanmoof Boncho - reinventing the cape

CTC Forum - On the road - 10 January 2016 - 4:48pm
I used to use a heavy(ish) yellow pvc cape back in the 80s. If I recall correctly, they were a lot longer back to front and deeper down the sides than the modern capes I have seen. I used to hook my thumb loops over the brake levers but this didn't seem to interfere with steering or braking. I did this primarily to enable down-tube gear shifting. I put an eyelet in the back just above the edge and used a shoelace and crocodile clip to hold the back of the cape over the saddle, clipped to the carrier or luggage. It was enough to hold the cape in place in most winds but not enough to hold it if I dismounted. I do remember pools of water collecting between the arms behind the handlebars that I used to knock out over the front. Never used a hood - sometimes used a hat.

I thought they were brilliant at the time but I can't imagine myself feeling safe using one now with wind and flapping material and close passes by motorists. Not that I remember them as flapping much.

I do like the look of this one but it looks too short and high to me.

Did anyone notice the front and rear lights built into the extended top tube in the video?

Re: Abus Frame Lock

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 10 January 2016 - 4:44pm
Yes hufty you are right. Of the other two, one came integral with the bike, the other cost €5 from a Dutch market stall. The two Abus ones have the slight advantage that I can plug chains into them in the garage, and the chains are then secured to the fabric of the building.

Re: Abus Frame Lock

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 10 January 2016 - 4:30pm
If you accept that this style of lock is only effective at stopping someone from wheeling your bike away, why go for the solidity of an Axa or an Abus? Have a google of Dyto brand locks. You can probably prise them apart with a teaspoon but they do the job at a fraction of the weight. +1 for zip ties to secure it to the frame.

Re: Cycling opportunity Keswick -Kendal

CTC Forum - On the road - 10 January 2016 - 4:26pm
mjr wrote:Closed roads are shown on http://www.roadworks.org for most councils and Highways England.

Which doesn't show anything for the A591 or Pooley Bridge despite them being problems for a couple of weeks at least now.

Re: Someone nearly killed me today

CTC Forum - On the road - 10 January 2016 - 3:49pm
mjr, having had the misfortune to drive in Cambridge last year for the first time in years, I've never in my life seen so many mad, suicidal, inconsiderate, and downright incompetent cyclists- often in packs- some of them would be dead in a week round here. (A local cyclist Mr Ortho was on a course with down there said the same, she was very frustrated by it; she put it down to people going there to study and riding a bike in the city when the last time they rode one was when they were about 8 and in a local park.)

I suspect that sot of behavior would have an impact on drivers, in that they would assume the worst and give all cyclists a lot of space and time. It gave me the serious willies, and I'm a very careful driver.
Syndicate content

About

CTC

Archive

  • Patron: Her Majesty The Queen
  • President: Jon Snow
  • Chief Executive: Paul Tuohy
  • Cyclists' Touring Club (CTC): A company limited by guarantee, registered in England no.25185. Registered as a charity in England and Wales No 1147607 and in Scotland No SC042541

Copyright © CTC 2015

Terms and Conditions