CTC Forum - On the road

Syndicate content
Discussion boards hosted by CTC, the national cycling charity
Updated: 19 min 41 sec ago

Re: Grab Theft - handle bar kit

25 March 2015 - 12:56am
Darn those Johnny foreigners, coming over here and stealing our British Garmin's.
Wish the OP gave more details.

What shade of skin colour?
Did the person have a limp?
What about height?
Any identifying scars ot tattoos?
Hair colour?

Thankfully this is England, and all English (true English) are easily identifiable. Hopefully
It will be easy for the local constabulary to get this pesky devil, and once again, cycling
Will be a crime free and pleasurable experience.



*Depending on location,sex,skin colour,bigotry and a whole other list of things that are
far to depressing to mention in 2015.

Re: Grab Theft - handle bar kit

25 March 2015 - 12:05am
Drifter wrote:I will continue to keep an eye on this site but I will think twice before contributing again. Don't give them the satisfaction. I could see the group thinkers ganging up to attack you and your motives for the "thought crime" of mentioning nationality, which is why I decided to comment. I think sensible people have benefited from the information, don't be dissuaded by perpetual offence seekers. If you stop posting these people win and get what they want (the censoring of legitimate discussion). Please stay, these types are far too numerous (here and elsewhere) as it is.

Drifter wrote:I also consider the moderation of this thread to be shockingly bad to allow accusations to fly around in this way. Indeed. This is the same moderator who accused me of insulting him by saying "You talk one way and act another." and then goes on to say to me, completely (and wilfully?) misrepresenting what I have said "your argument has revolved around foreigners having a greater propensity for crime and introducing specific types of crime and has had nothing to do with identifying the perpetrator of one specific crime. It is this attempt to demonise people based upon their nationality that people are pulling you up on. " and somehow I'm the one that is insulting? I think there is some bias on the part of the moderator, which has made him less than neutral in this thread. I hope he can have a more even hand in future.

Re: Grab Theft - handle bar kit

24 March 2015 - 10:31pm
Just wanted to say thanks to Freddie and the other members that read my initial post for what it is. I think it's crazy that anyone could take anything else away from it!

I think it's clear to see that my intention was to pass on factual information and raise awareness of a scam that could potentially catch out anyone of us. After reading these boards for some years I considered that by reporting this I was contributing to the forum and thought this was the ideal place to share such information.

Not that I need to justify my post but once again, the only reason the term 'foreign speaking' was used within my post was because it was this that made the cyclist to get off his bike to take a look at what the guy was trying to communicate to him, therefore it is relevant to mention it. The language barrier was part of the scam, is this not blatantly clear?

I think that some of the comments I had in return were charged, presumptuous and simply looking for a scrap. Some people are far to keen to point fingers, almost like their waiting for an opportunity. I also consider the moderation of this thread to be shockingly bad to allow accusations to fly around in this way. I was even accused of registering with this forum purely to drive a racist campaign!!

I will continue to keep an eye on this site but I will think twice before contributing again.

Thanks again to those that defended my comments.

Re: Cyclist defence fund Michael Mason

24 March 2015 - 10:03pm
Vorpal wrote:The police hardly examine the evidence, unless there is a death, and even then it seems that they may not be as thorough as they once were. ...(My emphasis)

The first bit of that (highlighted in red) is undoubtedly true. The following from the CPS, and earlier versions of it were taken as the cue to stop bothering. "Minor collision" can cover almost anything.

It will not necessarily be appropriate to prosecute every case where a minor collision occurs e.g. where the incident is of a type that involves minimal carelessness which may occur when parking a vehicle or in traffic queues. The extent of any damage does not matter in such cases; it is the extent of the driving error. Prosecutors should ensure that proceedings are not conducted for the sake of settling questions of liability for the benefit of individual drivers or insurance companies.

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/road ... g/#content

When it eventually became an (ACPO?) policy to concentrate on fatals and near fatals (KSI) the rationale was that this would allow greater resources to be concentrated on the most serious cases. I've no first-hand knowledge about the bit in blue. Cases are reported where considerable efforts seem to have been made to obtain evidence such as phone records. OTOH, there are have been allegations that some investigations were inadequate. eg the death of Eilidh Cairns. There have been well-documented allegations that serious injuries have been recorded as "slight," presumably to reduce the need for investigations.

I'm bemused as to why the case which prompted this thread was not referred to the CPS. When the evidence has been properly recorded, eg witness statements and vehicle examiners' reports, it's hardly a big deal to assemble it into a file and submit it. Apart from anything else, it's a good way of passing on the onus of making the decision. There seem to have been several "U-turns" in this case, to the extent that when I read the relevant article on the CTC www, somebody seemed to be welcoming the wrong "U-turn."

http://www.ctc.org.uk/news/20150319-met ... mason-case

As has previously been linked, a Chief Crown Prosecutor was recently officially criticised for insisting on seeing all "fatal" files in their area. A lot seems to depend on whether a decision not to charge somebody amounts to a "charging decision." There's room for clarification.

Re: Utility Pannier Bags

24 March 2015 - 8:46pm
A good alternative to the coroplastic/board for lining bags is karrimor style sleeping mat. They are cheap enough now to buy new if you can't find an old one. I think the liner is important for reducing wear from internal scuffing from sharp objects. The SJS panniers have definitely benefited from just a piece at the bottom of each bag. It helps keep the bag's shape as well.

Re: Utility Pannier Bags

24 March 2015 - 8:38pm
I have gone down a similar road as Monkeytennis and modified an ex-army webbing haversack - heavy duty duck cotton about A4 size and permanently bolted to my rack. Waterproof ish, robust and cheap (about £6 each). Just needed some bent metal hooks and coroplastic liner. Smaller shoulder bags are also available as handlebar/saddle bags.
Mark

Re: SUV/Lorry/BMW/Insert/delete as appropriate Driving Too C

24 March 2015 - 8:26pm
DevonDamo wrote:reohn2 wrote:Is that an observation borne out of experience?

It's not an observation. It's a well-documented and pretty-much undisputed psychological phenomenon which explains why different people, faced with the same evidence, may make entirely different conclusions about which other road users are the antichrist.

Here's a bit of confirmation bias,today 5 close overtakes,two within approx 0.6m the other three within 1m.Non of which were SUV's,but one was an Audi,one was a Merc,the others were smallish hatchbacks.
Non were the AntiChrist,but all close passes weren't necessary and one miscalculation or mistake by either party could've sent me to see Christ(should he exist).

Re: It me or do SUVs alway drive to close

24 March 2015 - 7:44pm
Need I explain that minivan is the American name for people-carrier?

Re: Anyone not been hit by a car

24 March 2015 - 7:43pm
Dump truck survivor (only bike written off). Yet to get hit by a car though.

Re: Anyone not been hit by a car

24 March 2015 - 6:51pm
pwa wrote:I think all cyclists should be required to be 6ft+ blokes weighing 14 stone or more. Drivers really don't fancy having me bounce off their bonnets and tend to give me plenty of room.
6 foot 6, 230 pounds and was once fighting fit: I've still had drivers pass close enough that my right handlebar (flats) has scraped paint of the doors. In fact one once passed so close that my right peddle caught in is front nearside wheelarch.

Re: Grab Theft - handle bar kit

24 March 2015 - 6:46pm
Si wrote:So is the OP so that's that settled then...whole thread isn't really relevant.I'm sorry, I tend to find reports of crime committed against cyclists of interest to this forum. Your statement that you meet people and the ethnic people are no worse than the white people is of no relevance to the original posting. It was a distraction from the issue in hand.
Si wrote:But then that's you changing what you are saying - your argument has revolved around foreigners having a greater propensity for crime and introducing specific types of crime and has had nothing to do with identifying the perpetrator of one specific crime. It is this attempt to demonise people based upon their nationality that people are pulling you up on. Where did I say they had a greater propensity for crime? That is an outright lie. Quote or it didn't happen. I said certain crimes are committed by certain groups more often than by other groups. This is a statement of fact, a quick skim of crime statistics would verify this. The point I was making is that certain crimes are committed by certain groups at a higher rate than other groups, hence knowing a criminals nationality/that they had a eastern European accent is of relevance. I was making the opposite point to PH, who said it is of no relevance (which is why I brought it up). Not only that, but he said it shouldn't even be mentioned by the OP. Let's take his argument to its logical conclusion. Was it sexist to suggest the criminal was male, as women commit crime too? Would it be discriminatory to mention his height, skin, eye or hair colour? Forewarned is forearmed. If someone here is approached in a similar situation by a similar person to the description, then they are better informed to deal with the situation in a way that might protect themselves and their property.

I demonise no one, criminals criminalise themselves, thank you very much. It is intolerant people that demonise the OP for providing relevant information that may well help fellow cyclists on this board. Where are his thanks? Nowhere, of course, perpetually offended people are too busy trying to infer what a bigot he is for stating something relevant.

Please do not twist my words, you are a moderator and it is your job to moderate.

Re: Anyone not been hit by a car

24 March 2015 - 6:10pm
foxyrider wrote:that must be it - i'm the perfect combination! 14st, with long blonde hair and no helmet!

Stop it I'm beginning to fancy you now

Re: Grab Theft - handle bar kit

24 March 2015 - 5:55pm
Well, that is anecdotal and an entirely different scenario, so it isn't really relevant.

So is the OP so that's that settled then...whole thread isn't really relevant.

The crux of my argument is that the criminal sounding foreign (although a little vague), is useful information (as are any identifying details).

Yes, in identifying the particular perpetrator of a particular crime then any identifying details are relevant. But then that's you changing what you are saying - your argument has revolved around foreigners having a greater propensity for crime and introducing specific types of crime and has had nothing to do with identifying the perpetrator of one specific crime. It is this attempt to demonise people based upon their nationality that people are pulling you up on.

Re: Cyclist defence fund Michael Mason

24 March 2015 - 5:45pm
karlt wrote:Vorpal wrote:When a car hits another from behind, the burden of proof is on the driver in control of the rear vehicle. Because we generally assume that if a driver cannot stop in time s/he was following too closely or distracted. I cannot see why this does not apply when a car hits a cyclist.

That's liability - responsibility in a civil case. Where damages are awarded and what insurance pays out on. The standard of proof here is "more likely than not".

In a criminal case, such as we're talking about here, the burden of proof is always on the prosecution. The standard of proof here is "beyond all reasonable doubt".

There seems to be a lot of confusion in people's minds about these two very separate and distinct aspects to the legal system.
Define reasonable, the BARD statement crops up and people/jurists fail to understand what that actually means. is it 'reasonable' from the evidence that the driver was not looking/was distracted, EVERYONE else saw Mr Mason, that is a hard fact, the CCTV picked up Mr Mason, another fact, MR mason was riding legally, another fact, the driver drove directly into the rear of Mr Mason, another fact. It is wholly UNREASONABLE to assume the driver could not have seen him or being unable to avoid the collision given the facts unless their standard of driving was far below that of a competent driver..that is perfectly clear AND reasonable except to the police..sorry judge and jurors

Re: Anyone not been hit by a car

24 March 2015 - 5:36pm
RickH wrote:Wasn't there some (minor) research done with different combinations of clothing (normal, hi-vis, cycling kit), helmet (or not), etc. that showed that the most effective item for getting cars to give space was a long blonde wig? Make of that what you will

Edited to add: found a link - the guy got an average of 14cm more space with a blonde wig on.

Rick.

that must be it - i'm the perfect combination! 14st, with long blonde hair and no helmet!

Re: Anyone not been hit by a car

24 March 2015 - 5:12pm
I think all cyclists should be required to be 6ft+ blokes weighing 14 stone or more. Drivers really don't fancy having me bounce off their bonnets and tend to give me plenty of room.

Re: Anyone not been hit by a car

24 March 2015 - 5:05pm
Wasn't there some (minor) research done with different combinations of clothing (normal, hi-vis, cycling kit), helmet (or not), etc. that showed that the most effective item for getting cars to give space was a long blonde wig? Make of that what you will

Edited to add: found a link - the guy got an average of 14cm more space with a blonde wig on.

Rick.

Re: Anyone not been hit by a car

24 March 2015 - 4:49pm
foxyrider wrote:toomsie wrote:why not? good enough for Eric The Red and Tonto!
I don't think it was the braids that protected Eric The Red from close passes — more likely the battle axe strapped to the pannier rack.

Re: It me or do SUVs alway drive to close

24 March 2015 - 4:35pm
toomsie wrote:More minivans now then they used to be, loads of ex-cabbie ford around on the use market. I am going to buy a Vauxhal Zafera 7 seeter. Its much better then an urban 4x4, 2x4 and takes corners very good and very cheep.

The minivan was made by BMC then British Leyland not Ford or Vauxhall. The name is now owned by BMW. If anyone else was a vehicle they call aminivan BMW would have taken them to court over use of trade marked name.

Re: Anyone not been hit by a car

24 March 2015 - 4:19pm
toomsie wrote:Can anyone else verify this.
Anecdotal again

I've only worn a helmet once in my life. I borrowed my Dads and went out for a ride, just to try it. In one hour I got more stupidly dangerous (or is that dangerously stupid?) overtakes than I normally see in a fortnight! Needless to say I've never worn one since.

Archive

  • Patron: Her Majesty The Queen
  • President: Jon Snow
  • Chief Executive: Paul Tuohy
  • Cyclists' Touring Club (CTC): A company limited by guarantee, registered in England no.25185. Registered as a charity in England and Wales No 1147607 and in Scotland No SC042541

Copyright © CTC 2015

Terms and Conditions