CTC Forum - On the road

Syndicate content
Discussion boards hosted by CTC, the national cycling charity
Updated: 55 min 8 sec ago

Re: Police Thugs

3 September 2014 - 9:30pm
Hi,
Good Mick F.

My case the pc on phone asked me to describe the offender, he then said "I know him"
At my house he made no notes but passed judgement on my ctv evidence saying "six of one half a dozen of the other"
He laughed and left the house quoting me " In anger management you see yourself looking in the mirror"
I also videoed on ctc him going to the offenders house before me and being greeted by my aledged offender " Hi alright" then walked through the door
So how did my offender know he was coming and the greeting was not that of a pc coming to your house, is that what they normally say unless they phone first
When pc's come to my house as seldom as they do they either say who they are or just ask a question about a car down the road stuffed in a wall.

When I complaind he said (pc) that he did not know my offender...............................
Stinks rotten

Edited - P.S. the pc is now a Sergent ......promotion too..............

Re: Police Thugs

3 September 2014 - 5:09pm
Your word against theirs.
Trouble is, their word is taken as truth, and your word is suspect .......... until the real truth comes out ........... and that's the hard part.

Re: Police Thugs

3 September 2014 - 4:52pm
If making a complaint like this, you should be able to gather your own evidence. Record your conversation wit the police officer on your mobile phone or helmet cam. Take a photo of the officer who stopped you. This would provide the evidence to back up your claim. Without such evidence, it's your word against theirs.

We've seen cases where the helmet cam evidence makes the Police's action look heavy handed and inappropriate. The recent case where a guy was cycling on a rubbish cycle path and had to ride across the pavement to reach a crossing point and was charged with cycling on the pavement.

Also, my old law teacher once said to me, if you ever get stopped by the police just say to them "Arrest me or let me go". If you've not committed an offence then they can't arrest you and you can just carry on your way.

Re: Police Thugs

3 September 2014 - 2:28pm
It should at least show whether or not the person in question was wearing high vis...

Re: Police Thugs

3 September 2014 - 2:26pm
fluffybunnyuk wrote:I reviewed CCTV coverage from Lewisham Council. The camera does not cover the part of the road where you were stopped. It provides no relevant evidence.

Like they reviewed the footage of the Andrew Mitchell 'plebgate' affair. Perhaps you need to employ Channel 4 to unearth the footage.

Re: Police Thugs

3 September 2014 - 1:26pm
I promised a follow up when I received word, and I just have.
Its too much manure to comment on and give it any more time than it deserves.
And people wonder why it isnt worth complaining?
Here it is:

INVESTIGATION

On 10/12/13 you attended Lewisham Police Station stating that whilst you were cycling along New Cross Rd towards Greenwich you were stopped by an officer who was not wearing reflective clothing. You say you did not see the officer. As you passed the officer you assert that the officer grabbed you causing you to brake sharply. You say this action was dangerous.

I have obtained a detailed statement from you which provides your account of the incident.

I spoke to the officer and she has provided an account of the incident. She denies grabbing you and states that she was wearing her reflective jacket.

I have obtained an account of the incident from the two PCSOs who were present in the locality. They both state that they did not see the incident to which you refer. One officer states she only became aware of a conversation that took place between you and SPC *******.

I reviewed CCTV coverage from Lewisham Council. The camera does not cover the part of the road where you were stopped. It provides no relevant evidence.

When I obtained your statement you refused to sign a medical disclosure form that would have allowed me to obtain details of any injuries you sustained, in this incident, from your GP. You did, however, state that I could apply for this information within the body of your statement.
On 24/1/14 I included a copy of this part of your statement in a letter to your GP requesting details of any injuries you had sustained. I have had no information returned from your GP.


CONCLUSIONS

In these circumstances I am satisfied, on the balance of probabilities, that SPC ******* has not breached the standards of professional behaviour. This means there is no case to answer.

Re: Advice on route in Bristol

3 September 2014 - 1:11pm
It's one of those things, I wouldn't start from there.
You could try parking at the Abbey retail park (not sure how long your apppointment is or how often they check parking) and then riding from there past Filton Abbey wood (traffic free), 8th Ave, 9th Ave, Braemar Ave, and Kenmore Drive.
See link to map of North Bristol
http://www.betterbybike.info/maps/cycle-maps/bristol

Re: Can I have a moan?

3 September 2014 - 11:14am
It's new legislation - although it's dated 2012, it came into force more recently. It bans clamping etc and replaces it with a régime of penalty enforcement. It may be that fly-by-nights with vehicles not registered in their name can ignore this but the rest of might not be so lucky. The detection tends to be electronic - and we all know how much more effective that can be than fallible humans. (Have a look on the way in and out and a lot of these places now have a twin camera system.)

Anecdotes are nothing more than that and they may well pre-date the new regs. When it's somewhere like a supermarket car park and there's a customer complaint, goodwill can cloud the issue. Try overstaying somewhere like the car park on a motorway service area or an airport and see how much leeway you get then.

I'm just like 661- Pete when it comes to obeying parking rules. I try to be meticulous and I'm regarded by some in my family as a PITA for being like that, but that's the way I am.

Re: Can I have a moan?

3 September 2014 - 11:07am
661-Pete wrote:And I've never had a parking ticket in my entire life.
I've had two.
One because I believed a female in her estimate of how long her shopping trip would take.
The other when I arrived at the payment meter at 7:27, there was free parking from 8 onwards so I bought half an hour. Turns out the traffic warden figured I was extracting the urine and issued me a ticket at 7:59...

Re: Can I have a moan?

3 September 2014 - 10:56am
My take is: running a car costs money, as I am fully aware! The cost of parking ought to be simply factored into that running cost. Speaking for myself, when I need to park somewhere, I always look for a car park or somewhere where I can park legally. And pay the charge as appropriate. And walk a little extra distance if I need to.

And I've never had a parking ticket in my entire life.

Unsurprisingly, the cost of parking is often something I consider when deciding whether to go somewhere by car, by bike, or by train .

So why do some petrolheads have such a problem?

Re: Can I have a moan?

3 September 2014 - 10:50am
Psamathe wrote:When you park for e.g. more than 3 hrs in a supermarket car park you are in some respects doing the same thing i.e. leaving your car on private property (and causing no real inconvenience). Yet the supermarkets seem to get away with charging/fining you, clamping your car, towing your car, etc. So, other than a few inconspicuous signs, do the supermarkets (with car parks) have more rights than a private individual (driveway)?

But surely this is an inconvenience to their business model, therefore turnover, therefore profitability, therefore staff employed? If the supermarket has built a car park and expects to have a throughput of 1,000 cars a day because there is a continuous rotation of spaces available then having people parked in there for 8 hours is surely an inconvenience? Towing away is probably OTT because towing is really for a safety or accessibility issue but fines? - definitely.

Re: Can I have a moan?

3 September 2014 - 9:47am
Psamathe wrote:Yet the supermarkets seem to get away with charging/fining you, clamping your car, towing your car, etc. So, other than a few inconspicuous signs, do the supermarkets (with car parks) have more rights than a private individual (driveway)?

Ian
I don't think they can, they certainly can't clamp or tow and whilst the private companies can send you demands everyone I know who complained to the supermarket had them rescinded and those that ignored them heard nothing more.

Re: Four 4x4's/SUV'S on a forty mile ride

3 September 2014 - 9:40am
Bonefishblues wrote:http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=143939&p=1380881#p1380881

Just to show that there are lots of sensible responsible drivers around who condemn idiots who endanger cyclists here's a thread on another of the car forums I'm a member of.
What's amazing about that is if I was that cyclist I'd have shrugged that off as a non-event! I've had them alongside and starting to pull in! So it's quite impressive that a car driver actually thinks anything is happening there.

(This morning I had a guy pull out of a road to my right turning right and slam on as he saw me, before waving me past, overtaking and turning right again just 50m further up - you'd have thought he'd have hung back out of embarrassment! However if I ever need any plastering doing PT Plastering of Warrington won't be getting my business.)

Re: Can I have a moan?

3 September 2014 - 9:37am
thirdcrank wrote:I suspect that if somebody parks a car without permission on somebody else's private drive while they go on holiday, then it must be a trespass....
When you park for e.g. more than 3 hrs in a supermarket car park you are in some respects doing the same thing i.e. leaving your car on private property (and causing no real inconvenience). Yet the supermarkets seem to get away with charging/fining you, clamping your car, towing your car, etc. So, other than a few inconspicuous signs, do the supermarkets (with car parks) have more rights than a private individual (driveway)?

Ian

Re: Can I have a moan?

3 September 2014 - 8:19am
mjr wrote:Who's going to spot them? This isn't continuously worked land we're talking about, else its worker would be intervening with the flytippers and so on.

But locking gates can lessen the problem, especially if it means a flytipper can no longer reverse say 10m into an obscure bit of woodland, they are less likely to flytip in front of the gate in case they are seen, even if it is just by passing traffic. And it is continuously worked land, it just is not continuously overseen. Or do you expect farmers to watch wheat ripening or foresters to watch trees growing?

Bicycler wrote:It is ironic that the problems associated with public access can often be reduced or at least diluted by allowing greater public access.

Although I recognise that more presence can mean fewer nefarious activities going on I'm not sure it works where there are very few people anyway and can cause other problems. I am aware of an instance where creating a permissive path and a bird hide over a pond led to the hide being used as a location for drinking and drug taking. It was a well-intentioned idea but the hide was soon removed.

Re: Four 4x4's/SUV'S on a forty mile ride

3 September 2014 - 7:20am
http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewtopic. ... 1#p1380881

Just to show that there are lots of sensible responsible drivers around who condemn idiots who endanger cyclists here's a thread on another of the car forums I'm a member of.

Re: Solo night ride

3 September 2014 - 4:37am
I do south london to Brighton, and back night rides quite a bit to keep my cycling legs in. If id have known sooner Id have offered to tag along. It wouldnt be quite so solo then I guess.
Good luck with it. Theres nothing like that crisp air smell and feel, and the silence as your pedalling along to your own imagination

Re: Advice on route in Bristol

3 September 2014 - 12:51am
There isn't an easy direct route from CC to Southmead Hospital. If you were trying it in the past you could have ridden through Charlton village. A flatter route would be from CC to A38 via Hayes Way then up A38 to Southmead hospital via Filton Hill, the other route suggested has more climbing.
If your appointment is in the new Brunel Building then the cycleracks outside are in short supply, I had a 09:15 appointment and only managed to get a 'parking space' cause somebody left as I was looking for alternative places to lock my bike up.

Re: Mam Tor, shivering mountain

3 September 2014 - 12:26am
I started riding as a teenager in south-east Cheshire, in the late 1970s. The Mam Tor road was in the process of falling off the hill then. I'm pretty sure I did some trips while it was still usable.

Then I've memories of one of our group getting blown over some railway sleepers that were laid at the side of the road, to be used in an attempt to shore it up. I also remember (not sure if it was the same ride) going off a drop like the one shown by the OP and nearly taking off our chain sets. We had probably gone through a road closed sign, as cyclists do, can't remember, so I don't think it was a matter of how cars got through.

I think it was probably a case of road closed, repair, re-open, close again, till the realisation dawned that this wasn't going to be fixable.

My kids both went on school field trips (from North Herts) to the area, that included studying the (ex-)road, allowing me to bore them with the above stories.

Re: Four 4x4's/SUV'S on a forty mile ride

2 September 2014 - 11:44pm
reohn2 wrote:Bonefishblues wrote:If one scrolls 180 degrees on the streetview a 50mph repeater sign is visible right in front, so it's not a NSL stretch.

Well spotted,I'd moved the cursor up and down that road but didn't see it Yes it is 50mph, (paper wrong) which is still a bit fast in my view, but it's a limit not a target which many motorists seem to assume. The small side at the junction roads have NSL

Archive

  • Patron: Her Majesty The Queen
  • President: Jon Snow
  • Chief Executive: Paul Tuohy
  • Cyclists' Touring Club (CTC): A company limited by guarantee, registered in England no.25185. Registered as a charity in England and Wales No 1147607 and in Scotland No SC042541

 

Terms and Conditions