CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition

Syndicate content
Discussion boards hosted by CTC, the national cycling charity
Updated: 1 hour 43 min ago

Re: Long Term Tour & Saddle Sore

19 October 2014 - 9:57am
Sustained friction causes heat and in turn will create saddle sores. I would recommend a cream which stops the sweat and in turn cuts down on the friction.

Something like this and containing an antiseptic if possible.

http://udderlysmooth.co.uk/product/cham ... ea-butter/

Re: St Malo to Narbonne

19 October 2014 - 9:57am
Hi Linda.

Did this ride with a couple of friends in summer of 2010 (seems like weeks not years ago). We stayed west and off main roads in the main. Joined the canal du midi 40 or so miles form Agen and stayed on (bar a few bits of road where it got too lumpy) all the way to Narbonne. Miunicipal campsites were great but I'd recommend getting a room near the coast..campsite we stayed at was so hard and pebbly we could hardly get pegs in.

We tended to average 65-70 miles a day, but in August the heat as we moved further south was so intense we'd set really early and get most miles in before lunch the a nice big break.

Here's a blog we all contributed to, which segues into my friend James' epic Norway to Athens ride.

http://www.medmen.org.uk/search?updated ... date=false

Re: Lighting a bike/high vis on tour

19 October 2014 - 9:53am
maxcherry wrote:So why do people in Hi-Viz, with lights and helmet get knocked over ?

WHAT DO DRIVERS DO AT JUNCTIONS?

Re: Accomodation in Polenca, Majorca

19 October 2014 - 7:39am
The report from our club group just back from the P Park was that the food was fractionally better but the Wifi worse.

Re: Lighting a bike/high vis on tour

19 October 2014 - 2:23am
There is no downside. Bright fluorescent tops are great business attire and not at all ugly when visiting tourist attractions like stately homes. People should be happy with how much more beautiful it makes every rural view and any non motorised road user should use them:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... i-vis.html

Or we could stop this arms race with no winners.

Re: Lighting a bike/high vis on tour

19 October 2014 - 1:11am
pjclinch wrote:irc wrote:Because accidents caused by dark V bright coloured cars are a small fraction of the total accidents.

Okay, you've piqued my interest... exactly what fraction?

Too small for insurance companies to worry about. Just because something is small does not mean it doesn't exist.

http://www.claimsmadesimple.co.uk/artic ... olour-car/


pjclinch wrote:irc wrote:I know from experience that bright colours can be seen more easily at a distance. I have seen groups of cyclists or hillwalkers at a distance and seen the brightly dressed ones far sooner than the ones dressed in black.

Nobody's disputing that, but as I've already pointed out, you don't get hit by a motor vehicle that's half a mile away.

No but if drivers can see a cyclist in the distance that is only momentarily visible then lost to sight due to intervening traffic/hills/hedges etcthen their mental map now has that cyclist and they can be prepared for a safe overtake when they reach the cyclist even if they can't see him for much of the intervening time.

pjclinch wrote:irc wrote:I accept that in most cases drivers don't see because they are not looking but the low visibility of black still exists. Choosing not to wear black is just another edge I can get in my favour. Like choosing the low traffic 30mph route rather than the 70mph dual carriageway. Like not riding in the gutter etc. Just because the effect is small doesn't mean I would not rather have it in my favour.

You say it's "small", which is a qaulitative measure. What actually is it, quantitatively? Follow the research and it's increasingly turning out to be the case that hi-viz doesn't give any clear edge. That's not intuitive, but there again neither is the fact that crash helmets don't appear to do anything for your chances of a trip to A&E with something serious.

I suspect that the subset of accidents where visibility really matters is small enough that it can't be seen for the noise. I still prefer to have it on my side rather than against me. Being seen sooner is better than being seen later. Or are you saying it never matters how soon drivers see cyclists? I'll continue to avoid black cycling tops as unlike a helmet there is no downside to wearing a bright top.

Re: Lighting a bike/high vis on tour

19 October 2014 - 12:39am
If the OP doesn't want special clothes, sam brown belts are a good alternative – they don't make you hot and can easily be taken off and packed away. For night riding I wear a white reflective one with wide reflective ankle bands and the bike has Aldi spoke reflectors – very visible from all sides. On cloudy days when I'm in dark clothing, I'll wear a yellow high viz belt.

An anecdote regarding hi viz: some while ago I was cycling along a suburban street and saw an unidentifiable mass of yellow in the distance. It turned out to be a group of kids doing their bikability training so I smiled and waved as I went past. One of the instructors, however, felt that I wasn't visible enough (I was riding in primary, wearing a bright red cycling jacket and hi viz ankle bands on a bright, sunny day ). He clearly wanted to call me out as a bad example to his class, and waved his hi viz jacket insisting 'you should be wearing one of these – you can't be seen'. I responded pleasantly and carried on, but felt sad that those kids were already being taught to bear greater responsibility for their safety than is expected from an adult motorist, just through their attire. As future motorists themselves, they'll simply learn that driving a car absolves you from looking .

Re: Santander to Biarritz

18 October 2014 - 10:18pm
I have done this route both ways a few times. I have no problem with the coastal route and have covered it in previous threads on this specific subject. Look them up and ask if you need further clarification.

Re: Santander to Biarritz

18 October 2014 - 9:52pm
The main shock is the heat (if it gets hot it is really HOT) and the empty landscape. It's not all empty of course but the density of settlements on average is very different and don't expect much shelter from the heat. Expect quite long chunks of empty countryside compared to France once you are away from the coast. There are also fewer roads so the less detailed maps may not be a big deal.

PS my biggest learning point was that Sierra meant mountain. Still a family joke but I'd seen all the westerns talking about sierras and assumed it meant the grasslands the Cowboys were usually riding through, not the mountains in the distance. it's a fairly moutainous country I now realise, especially when you route map yourself through all the sierras!

Re: Lighting a bike/high vis on tour

18 October 2014 - 8:26pm
Going back to the original question you need to make sure you comply with the regulations for lighting and extras in not just the countries but the State or county you are visiting.
If you do not want to wear hiv vis do not but something that is reflective may keep the locals quiet.

A head torch is brilliant for looking where you are going especially road surface. However they are no good for being seen by cars (I do use a head torch) you would need at least one battery operated bike mounted lamp.

Similarly a helmet mounted rear lamp will disappear from behind when you turn your head, so a standard battery operated lamp (I like the ones with large reflectors) attached to the back of the rack as well would be better.

Sorry I can not recommend makes or models my last lot came from Aldi. Make sure that replacement batteries that fit the lights are available where you are going.

Re: Accomodation in Polenca, Majorca

18 October 2014 - 8:04pm
P. park now owned by fergus, food has improved, wifi has not but it is free, there is free wifi all along the bay courtesy of the local government, word is p. park will be 4 star when it re opens in march.

Re: Airport transfers in Majorca

18 October 2014 - 8:00pm
As said we have used Glynnis, and she has had more than 6 bikes on a transport, so 6 would not be an issue. Have never used pro bike hire never trusted them since when, out of desperation Phil bought a cape, then we found he was charging 3x as much as anyone else, we always use velosportmallorca and never have any issues, they will also provide free breakdown support or recovery.

Re: Lighting a bike/high vis on tour

18 October 2014 - 7:55pm
pjclinch wrote:..... you don't get hit by a motor vehicle that's half a mile away. No, you don't Pete, but as I pointed out, if a driver is going along at 50/60mph, he needs to see far enough ahead to chose a line. If there's less than a few hundred yards, the time is not long.

Re: Long Term Tour & Saddle Sore

18 October 2014 - 7:33pm
A saddle sore will occur when you sit on the same part of your bottom and cut off the blood flow causing the flesh to effectively die. By moving around in the saddle, taking regular breaks and walking to get the blood flow moving again you will minimise the risk of getting them. if you do have one it may show as a very anaemic looking hard lump and it is important to reestablish the blood flow as soon as you can. They are normally known as pressure sores and the same as bed bound people suffer due to lack of movement.

Having had one on a long trip I can vouch for the fact that they are incredibly painful but they do go quickly once rested. If they ulcerate you may need medical treatment or antibiotics at the very least.

They are different to boils which occur from blocked pores usually caused by sweat and poor personal hygiene.

Re: Lighting a bike/high vis on tour

18 October 2014 - 6:38pm
squeaker wrote:
Which reminds me of a rather pertinent cartoon I saw recently in an old Punch compendium

LOL that's a great cartoon and I love that word 'Motocracy'.

Re: Lighting a bike/high vis on tour

18 October 2014 - 6:01pm
irc wrote:Because accidents caused by dark V bright coloured cars are a small fraction of the total accidents.

Okay, you've piqued my interest... exactly what fraction?

irc wrote:I know from experience that bright colours can be seen more easily at a distance. I have seen groups of cyclists or hillwalkers at a distance and seen the brightly dressed ones far sooner than the ones dressed in black.

Nobody's disputing that, but as I've already pointed out, you don't get hit by a motor vehicle that's half a mile away.

irc wrote:I accept that in most cases drivers don't see because they are not looking but the low visibility of black still exists. Choosing not to wear black is just another edge I can get in my favour. Like choosing the low traffic 30mph route rather than the 70mph dual carriageway. Like not riding in the gutter etc. Just because the effect is small doesn't mean I would not rather have it in my favour.

You say it's "small", which is a qaulitative measure. What actually is it, quantitatively? Follow the research and it's increasingly turning out to be the case that hi-viz doesn't give any clear edge. That's not intuitive, but there again neither is the fact that crash helmets don't appear to do anything for your chances of a trip to A&E with something serious.

Choosing the type of road does alter chances a lot. Rural A roads have about 8 times the KSI rate as an urban back road, for example. But can you actually quantify the difference in chances for wearing black as opposed to YELLOW, or are you just guessing?

Pete.

Re: Lighting a bike/high vis on tour

18 October 2014 - 5:32pm
anniesboy wrote:The Highway Code rule 59 says cyclists should wear the following
The current Highway Code is an evidence-free abomination in several ways when it concerns cycling and I shall wholeheartedly campaign with CTC to get it corrected the next time it is updated. Happily some of the sillier things like the light or flourescent clothing bit are not backed by law and should not stand up in court because there is insufficient evidence for them.

There have been several studies about car crashes and car colours and they contradict each other. It seems to make a very minor difference if any. There are loads of ways we can improve cycling safety and dictating clothing is nowhere near the top of the list... if it is on it at all!

Good lights are far more important but most of what is bought in the UK is really awful. How many of the antiblack posters here have an illegal lighting setup on one or more of their bikes, or knows a close friend or family member with one?

Re: Lighting a bike/high vis on tour

18 October 2014 - 4:28pm
pjclinch wrote:....And if you look at THC closer it tells you pedestrians should be wearing pretty much the same thing (helmet excepted), yet nobody seems to bother and that isn't actually a problem (perceived or actual).

Which reminds me of a rather pertinent cartoon I saw recently in an old Punch compendium

Re: Santander to Biarritz

18 October 2014 - 3:56pm
This topic has been covered a couple of times in the last year. If you search Santander, Bairritz etc you will probably find some of the old posts.

To summarise mine which started at Bilbao - plenty of campsites along the coast, very few inland even only a few miles, inland route very hilly, do not go through Hendaye but cross the Pyrenees a little inland Elizondo to Espelette which is an easy climb. Spanish maps are not terribly good, I found the best was the Michelin Zoom series.

Re: constant tyre lubrication system

18 October 2014 - 3:37pm
standard marathons in 26" roll ok - I have often caught up people on 700c wheels coasting down hills

Archive

  • Patron: Her Majesty The Queen
  • President: Jon Snow
  • Chief Executive: Paul Tuohy
  • Cyclists' Touring Club (CTC): A company limited by guarantee, registered in England no.25185. Registered as a charity in England and Wales No 1147607 and in Scotland No SC042541

 

Terms and Conditions