Feed aggregator

Re: Default tourer?

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 21 December 2014 - 10:47pm
PH wrote:http://wheelswhisper.blogspot.co.uk/2010/10/sabbath-silk-route-project.html

As I posted before he prefers Ti.
What's new?

Re: Touring wheels

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 21 December 2014 - 10:25pm
Drifter wrote:I know exactly where the OP's coming from. I've got 36 spoke wheels but they're not great quality, although they've never gave me any reason to worry, I'd rather get a better wheel set now than get caught out on tour. I was thinking xt hubs, mavic 719 rims and good quality spokes x 36.
A good choice for you but not the OP's narrow (in touring terms) tyres. Wide touring rims and narrowish tyres are a poor combination. If I were the OP and was buying a set of touring wheels I'd call up my shop of choice and ask their advice on rims suitable for the tyres I wanted to run. Back when I still rode 28mm tyres I did just that and ended up with wheels built with 36h Chrina rims (I think) from Spa Cycles. They were faultless, but sadly I discovered the joy of wider tyres so another trip to Harrogate was soon in order.

Re: Default tourer?

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 21 December 2014 - 10:00pm
reohn2 wrote:RonK wrote:reohn2 wrote:So following on from all this speculation,has anyone had an LHT or DT,thought they weren't good bikes and why?
Yes, I had an LHT which was replaced after one tour. Apart from the appalling finish which had rust appearing after only a few months, I found it a dull, unresponsive, unrewarding ride - a real slug.

What did you replace it with?

http://wheelswhisper.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... oject.html

Re: Touring wheels

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 21 December 2014 - 9:08pm
I know exactly where the OP's coming from. I've got 36 spoke wheels but they're not great quality, although they've never gave me any reason to worry, I'd rather get a better wheel set now than get caught out on tour. I was thinking xt hubs, mavic 719 rims and good quality spokes x 36.

Re: Default tourer?

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 21 December 2014 - 9:00pm
PH wrote:The answer is in his blog, very nice bikes they are too.
It ain't,just that he prefers Ti.
I fond the LHT to be, well not a slug, but certainly very steady (Yes...subjective) for the riding I was using it for I liked that. The Hewitt by comparison (Even more subjective) feels quite sprightly. The hard facts from the computer showed I was just as slow on either
Amazing innit,sometimes a bike that feels fast ain't when the numbers are totted up,I've had the same experience,which caused me to sell a bike almost 3kg lighter than my Vayas but nowhere near as comfy.

Re: Default tourer?

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 21 December 2014 - 8:17pm
reohn2 wrote:So far we've one person complaining it's a 'slug' but until we know what he's it's comparing it to we don't know how valid that complaint is,everyone else seems to be happy with theirs,which seems to back up the fact that it's a very good tourer.

The answer is in his blog, very nice bikes they are too.
I fond the LHT to be, well not a slug, but certainly very steady (Yes...subjective) for the riding I was using it for I liked that. The Hewitt by comparison (Even more subjective) feels quite sprightly. The hard facts from the computer showed I was just as slow on either

Re: Ten Miles a Day

CTC Forum - On the road - 21 December 2014 - 7:57pm
Hi,
Three and a half weeks off bike so I will have to settle on 11.31 M / day, thats twice last years at 5.69 , average Heart Rate has been 145, resting HR is mid 40's.

Re: Default tourer?

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 21 December 2014 - 7:23pm
PH wrote:
I didn't say it was a bad 'un.
I didn't say you did.
There's presently 3 bikes and 1 frame for sale on this forum, bikes described as "As new", "Nearly new" "used one tour", not a scientific sample, but I'd still suggest the proportion of people who are buying and not keeping is quite high compared to other bikes. In contrast, there's currently only 1 Galaxy for sale on the forum and that's a Ti version. I don't know the figures, but I'd be surprised if the LHT outsold the Galaxy, if for no other reason than the Dawes availability.
I can't disagree with that,but it's a snapshot in time,though one or two LHT's do come up on the forum sales board.


Without too much research these would be on the shortlist, I'm not looking for another bike...
Hewitt Cheviot (My current steel tourer and I have no intention of changing it)
VO Campeur
SOMA Saga
Ridgeback Panorama
Spa Tourer
Some of the Jamis bikes sold by Evans
Genesis Tour de Fer
And lastly, the Surly Crosscheck, I know a couple of people who tour on them and rate them.

And all quite similar framesets to the LHT other than the LHT has a horizontal TT,the geometry is similar on most.
What I'm trying to get at is why is the LHT so popular,maybe it isn't top dog in the UK but in the US or globally even it comes up near the top.
Someone posted up thread (you(?))that they may have been introduced at just the right time in the US and got a good name,and once established is hard to shift of it's perch,much as the Galaxy used to.
Though TBH the spec for the standard LHT is very good for the price point.

So far we've one person complaining it's a 'slug' but until we know what he's it's comparing it to we don't know how valid that complaint is,everyone else seems to be happy with theirs,which seems to back up the fact that it's a very good tourer.

Re: TOURING 2015

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 21 December 2014 - 6:43pm
Yeah thats right all the way down west france is routed with cycle paths. its really nice but they arent at all the quickest. it seems cycle paths are for winding around leisurely in france, not always the best if you have to get somewhere!

From bordeaux down to the border of spain was so flat you barely had to push, easy but can get a little boring. once you get to spain the whole landscape changes and the hills can be tough (i had completed the wrong gearing set up to be riding up hills with panniers) but with them you do get beauty, so its always worth it in the end

Re: Feeling guilty whilst not cycling & car use thru illness

CTC Forum - On the road - 21 December 2014 - 6:01pm
It weren't windy here yesterday, that was the thing..today however, going up hill was almost as fast as downhill in places..lol

Re: Default tourer?

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 21 December 2014 - 5:44pm
simonhill wrote:I have been following this thread because I have an LHT. My comments are half way down page 2.

I find it all rather amusing with people doing all the comparisons. Unfortunately this is a luxury that many (most) of us can't do. I don't have a stock of bikes in my shed, so can't say how they compare to an LHT. I think the majority of people are in my situation. I chose this bike based on recommendations and now ride it. Maybe if I trawled the bike shops and got them to lend me different bikes for short tours I would find my bike is rubbish and would change it.

As far as I am concerned it seems OK to me. As I said I have toured on it a lot, I tour for about 5 months a year, then use the bike for local stuff.

If you're happy with it, you're happy with it, there isn't anything to take away from that. Equally if other people are not so happy with it why wouldn't they make comparisons with other bikes they'd owned or tried, I don't see what's amusing about that!
So much of it's subjective anyway, I had a Thorn Raven, a bike that has lots of happy owners and although the bike was comfy and never let me down in any way, I never really liked it. I'm interested to hear of others experience, but it is what it is and I have no expectation that mine will necessarily be the same.

Re: Default tourer?

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 21 December 2014 - 5:30pm
reohn2 wrote:Yes you do see a few for sale,and no doubt there's different reasons for that.But it doesn't mean the bike's a bad one.
There's a lot of people with touring stars in their eyes that are never reached for due to real life realisations.
There are a lot of Galaxy's up for sale too,and whilst the Gal' is an old 'un,you see quite a few newish ones for sale.

I didn't say it was a bad 'un. There's presently 3 bikes and 1 frame for sale on this forum, bikes described as "As new", "Nearly new" "used one tour", not a scientific sample, but I'd still suggest the proportion of people who are buying and not keeping is quite high compared to other bikes. In contrast, there's currently only 1 Galaxy for sale on the forum and that's a Ti version. I don't know the figures, but I'd be surprised if the LHT outsold the Galaxy, if for no other reason than the Dawes availability.
If I was in the market for a full on tourer, the LHT would definitely be on the short list, but it wouldn't be there on it's own, I can think of a few other bikes that equally deserve a place.
Care to name a few?

Without too much research these would be on the shortlist, I'm not looking for another bike...
Hewitt Cheviot (My current steel tourer and I have no intention of changing it)
VO Campeur
SOMA Saga
Ridgeback Panorama
Spa Tourer
Some of the Jamis bikes sold by Evans
Genesis Tour de Fer
And lastly, the Surly Crosscheck, I know a couple of people who tour on them and rate them.

Re: TOURING 2015

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 21 December 2014 - 4:56pm
Molzor, sounds like you followed the Velodyssey route to some extent, as I did. Didn't quite reach Spain but have cycled there before from Santander into the Picos and agree it's fairly hilly. Makes it more interesting though! I found the route along the Nante-Brest canal a bit boring at times, so it was good to deviate and look around a bit.

Re: Accident waiting to happen.

CTC Forum - On the road - 21 December 2014 - 4:22pm
The plans for the scheme are intriguing.

Bristol.jpg

Road traffic heading south on Queen Charlotte Street meets a "Give Way" marking before the cycle section of the Zebra Crossing .

There is no such marking for road traffic heading northbound .

In any case the finished item on the ground might not match the plans.

Re: Good road US road sign

CTC Forum - On the road - 21 December 2014 - 4:21pm
GrumpyGit wrote:Elizabethsdad wrote:Audax67 wrote:The bike needs a glove box to keep the .38 in.
I would suggest openly carried in a hip holster would be more effective and dude a .38? seriously? Berretta 92F surely.

I disagree, the .38 and 9mm are almost identical in their ballistics. My choice would be a 1911A1 the .45ACP has much better stopping power!

EDITED TO ADD:

What? Is nobody going to up the ante and suggest a Desert Eagle .50 AE ??

Doesn't matter if you use hollowpoint.

Re the French 1.5-metre sign, they're most often found just behind overhanging foliage.

The one to beware of next year is this:



Some of the compulsory cycle paths are terrible but the police throughout France have been instructed to fine cyclists not taking them. I've seen compulsory paths over lumpy pavement, covered in debris, parked cars, and dustbins, and leading you under tree branches a metre off the ground.

Re: Feeling guilty whilst not cycling & car use thru illness

CTC Forum - On the road - 21 December 2014 - 4:12pm
It is fairly horribly cold in that wind today. Everything seems to take more effort and I've not got a cold. I expect I'd be slower than usual on the bike too:

Re: Another death

CTC Forum - On the road - 21 December 2014 - 4:04pm
thirdcrank wrote:661-Pete wrote: ... But I probably shouldn't be speculating - not on this thread at this time. ...

It all depends on the evidence gathered during the investigation, of course, but if this were to result in a contested trial, I'd expect that the defence would emphasise the length of time the deceased had been riding apparently without sleep, and the implication of poor mental health.

Before anybody jumps on me, I'm only predicting a couple of lines the defence might explore, without expressing an opinion on the merit of their doing so.
But could only be of any value if the defendant claimed the cyclist had wobbled/veered/swerved in front the car she was driving.But at twice the legal limit and 15+mph over the speed limit,with four month driving experience,how reliable would her account of events be?
Not very is my estimation .

brynpoeth wrote: .. riding without sleep ... What about P-B-P, it takes place in 2015. Should it be banned or restricted? Open question!
It's something that troubles me about long distance Audax events.
But then again any driver of a vehicle not needing a tachograph to measure time driving,could be behind the wheel of such a vehicle at considerably higher speeds for as long as they saw fit,which is a worrying thought.
The difference of course is that a sleep deprived cyclist would more than likely only put their own life at risk.
Whereas someone driving a motor with the same level of sleep deprivation has the potential for far more devastation.

Re: What do you say?

CTC Forum - On the road - 21 December 2014 - 3:37pm
This happened, the driver then drove into the kerb across the cycle path to impede my forward motion

Simply pointed out the GoPro and stated that it was obvious from his attitude and driving that he had no idea of a safe distance and I would be asking the Police to educate him

They did!

Re: Touring wheels

CTC Forum - Touring & Expedition - 21 December 2014 - 3:29pm
no never broken a spoke, but i dont really fancy it happening! i was using 28mm tyres before but apparently theres room for 32s with no mud guards. i guess this would be fine in the warmer months. do you think this would be a worthwhile swap?

Re: Accident waiting to happen.

CTC Forum - On the road - 21 December 2014 - 3:26pm
Vorpal

A few issues there which have been thrashed out on the turbo roundabout and elsewhere. eg Problems with making farcilities (another unscientific word but well-done! to whoever coined it) safe where they meet a main carriageway is one of the reasons some people are opposed to them. Then, I think the general view is that, subject to proper behaviour by drivers, a well-used pedestrian crossing does not maximise traffic capacity which is why highwaymen like light-controlled crossings (although the official plan on the current "deathtrap" thread refers to crossings being converted to zebras to achieve it.)

All I really was trying to say is that a lack of clarity is unhelpful to the point of being dangerous and that's even more likely when the existing arrangement (zebra crossings for pedestrians) has been in operation for some eighty years and is still widely abused by drivers. IMO, there is value in comparison with other societies and in this context, I'd say the starting point is the attitudes towards vulnerable road users. The infrastructure can only follow.

I didn't write the thread title, but it's only the same as the pseudo-scientific stuff highwaymen trot out to supress suggestions they don't like. Indeed "This would confuse drivers" is one I have often heard. And I think that's a large part of what I've been trying to say here. Attitudes won't change quickly but one thing we don't want is drivers deciding it's their duty to discipline cyclists riding across zebra crossings, especially in locations where they are entitled to do so. Local publicity is of limited value because drivers have a tendency to go all over the place. I can think of several experimental schemes - around here we had X crossings - which were not followed up because of the confusion, which must largely have involved strangers to Leeds, rather than Leeds Loiners being too thick to grasp the concept. In the present economic climate, I think that national publicity is unlikely.
Syndicate content

Archive

  • Patron: Her Majesty The Queen
  • President: Jon Snow
  • Chief Executive: Paul Tuohy
  • Cyclists' Touring Club (CTC): A company limited by guarantee, registered in England no.25185. Registered as a charity in England and Wales No 1147607 and in Scotland No SC042541

 

Terms and Conditions